Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

9 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

Last year 316 offers were sent; does the 350 estimate include those that removed themselves from the waitlist?

Actually I just took the number 350 from swoman without checking the actual stats. There being 316 would shift the percentages a bit lower, but I think we can be confident in saying that we have anywhere between 40% and 80% of getting an offer.

17 hours ago, CoffeeOtter said:

I assume then that all who were waitlisted posted (pretty confident) and that every waitlisted person also posted their invite to interview (relatively confident).

So that means that 13/41 or 32% of interviewees got waitlisted*, and as swoman estimated, 350/552 or 63% of interviewees will be offered spots. These two groups of people form a venn diagram. The intersection of the venn diagram is what we are interested in representing people who get waitlisted AND get offered a spot.

I've made a spreadsheet with all the data I could find for this year's application, here it is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1veut8qS9UI8PeHtni7NK7Vx9ONmUgoNYCohJx-G3Cx0/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to keep it updated.

P.S. of the original people who posted their interview invite, it seems that only 16.6% of them also posted that they were waitlisted.

Edit: I know that I am adding to the speculation here (there is not much else we can do while we wait) but I do actually think this is fairly useless. I doubt that McMaster would make it too big, and there is no way that McMaster would make the waitlist too small, so it's probably somewhere between 40% and 60%.

Do you guys think the time you recieved the waitlist email shows your position on the waitlist? I know there are people from 7:53-7:55am on the waitlist. Anyone before or after that was accepted or rejected. Or do you think it's just an alphabetical/randomized order thing? Wondering why everyone on the waitlist didn't just receive the email all at the same time? 

5 hours ago, uRme said:

Do you guys think the time you recieved the waitlist email shows your position on the waitlist? I know there are people from 7:53-7:55am on the waitlist. Anyone before or after that was accepted or rejected. Or do you think it's just an alphabetical/randomized order thing? Wondering why everyone on the waitlist didn't just receive the email all at the same time? 

I'd say this would be extremely unlikely. I've worked with post-secondary CRM's which I assume would operate similarly to what McMaster uses. Really they'd simply have their internal rankings but select all of the students who were offered, waitlisted or rejected and batch email them all at the same time. The delay in receiving the email would likely just be an artifact of 100+ emails going out in short succession.

9 hours ago, uRme said:

While I agree that the email times are likely inconsequential, if there is anything to be discovered it would not be from the email delivery times, but from the send times. For example, my waitlist email took 33 seconds to be delivered to me from the time it was sent (from 07:53:14 to 07:53:47), I suspect that this delivery time varies between email hosts and maybe even between internet service providers.

Any ways, it would be interesting to see if this means anything, although I doubt it.

4 hours ago, aneilm said:

I'd say this would be extremely unlikely. I've worked with post-secondary CRM's which I assume would operate similarly to what McMaster uses. Really they'd simply have their internal rankings but select all of the students who were offered, waitlisted or rejected and batch email them all at the same time. The delay in receiving the email would likely just be an artifact of 100+ emails going out in short succession.

Makes sense to me. Thanks anelim.

3 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

While I agree that the email times are likely inconsequential, if there is anything to be discovered it would not be from the email delivery times, but from the send times. For example, my waitlist email took 33 seconds to be delivered to me from the time it was sent (from 07:53:14 to 07:53:47), I suspect that this delivery time varies between email hosts and maybe even between internet service providers.

Any ways, it would be interesting to see if this means anything, although I doubt it.

Do you think you could elaborate on the send times a bit more and why they are more likely (though still unlikely, I agree) to represent waitlist position than the delivery times? 

Just now, uRme said:

Makes sense to me. Thanks anelim.

Do you think you could elaborate on the send times a bit more and why they are more likely (though still unlikely, I agree) to represent waitlist position than the delivery times? 

Send times refer to when McMaster sent the emails, delivery times refer to when your email provider received and processed the emails into your inbox (unless you are not using a browser-based email). So some of the artifacts mentioned by @aneilm might be mitigated if you look at the time they were sent by McMaster, although there are likely other artifacts that can't be controlled for.

Just now, RPN-RN-MD said:

Send times refer to when McMaster sent the emails, delivery times refer to when your email provider received and processed the emails into your inbox (unless you are not using a browser-based email). So some of the artifacts mentioned by @aneilm might be mitigated if you look at the time they were sent by McMaster, although there are likely other artifacts that can't be controlled for.

Ah got it. Thanks for the quick response. Let's say it was true that the send times reflected your position on the waitlist. How would that account for the fact that there are three difference delivery times? Could you give me an example of how, theoretically, an earlier send time means you're higher up on the waitlist and how the three three different delivery times (7:53,54,55) play into this? 

Wishing you all the best in the coming weeks :)

5 minutes ago, uRme said:

Ah got it. Thanks for the quick response. Let's say it was true that the send times reflected your position on the waitlist. How would that account for the fact that there are three difference delivery times? Could you give me an example of how, theoretically, an earlier send time means you're higher up on the waitlist and how the three three different delivery times (7:53,54,55) play into this? 

Wishing you all the best in the coming weeks :)

My speculations are not any better than yours. Maybe if we had the entire list of waitlisted people and everything about their waitlist emails then we could make some sense of it, but I doubt it. I say we just hope for the best and expect the worst.

3 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

My speculations are not any better than yours. Maybe if we had the entire list of waitlisted people and everything about their waitlist emails then we could make some sense of it, but I doubt it. I say we just hope for the best and expect the worst.

Haha that's fair. Hoping for the best :)

On 5/19/2019 at 5:49 AM, uRme said:

Honestly I was wondering this as well - I got the email at 7:55 and i keep thinking i'm last on the waitlist and it's unnerving me....

Then again, i use my school's email provider (outlook) which doesn't show the sent timestamp (only the received time), and my last name begins with a letter late into the alphabet (although i dont know if this affects anything). 

How about you? Is your family name also late in the alphabet? or have we both been cursed to the bottom of the list aha

3 minutes ago, yehehey said:

Honestly I was wondering this as well - I got the email at 7:55 and i keep thinking i'm last on the waitlist and it's unnerving me....

Then again, i use my school's email provider (outlook) which doesn't show the sent timestamp (only the received time), and my last name begins with a letter late into the alphabet (although i dont know if this affects anything). 

How about you? Is your family name also late in the alphabet? or have we both been cursed to the bottom of the list aha

Based on previous threads, it seems very unlikely that your timestamp correlates to your position on the waitlist. 

1 minute ago, yehehey said:

If you're able to, you can click the three dots somewhere on your email, then click "show original", and see when the email was originally created. Mine doesn't show me the timestamp either unless I do that, it only shows the delivered time. I don't know if the three dots exist on outlook, my school uses gmail. 

Anyway, yes my last name does end closer to the end of the alphabet, so that could be it too :)

Either way, after scouring the forums more over the past few days, it seems very unlikely that the timestamps mean anything :) Let's just hope for the best. The emails may come out for a few lucky people this week, given that they've come out for a few 8 days later in past years.

All the very best to you :)