Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

Got in off the waitlist today (as in Tuesday, at 6:19pm EST). It's definitely been tough but I am relieved it's finally over. 

I know how tough it is guys. Stay patient. Even if things don't work out and you don't get in (I've been there before) continue to be productive; life is long and there is so much more to be thankful for. Some people dream of just getting to live in a place like Canada and we take that, and so many more things, for granted.

I hope I get to have such kind-hearted people as my colleagues one day :) 

7 hours ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

So, out of curiosity (and an excess of free time) I just checked to see how the OPs of McMaster's previous "waitlist party" threads fared.

2012: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/60549-waitlist-thread-2012/

2013: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/70097-waitlist-party-thread/

2014: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/77637-waitlist-party/

2015: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/84622-for-them-waitlisters/

2016: The 2015 thread was used

2017: The 2015 thread was used

2018: http://forums.premed101.com/topic/99542-mcmaster-waitlist-party/

In each of these cases, the OP of the waitlist thread was accepted off of the waitlist. That gives me hope :P

Good luck to us all tomorrow.

That is so cool - I was one of these OPs - best of luck @RPN-RN-MD

Just now, swoman said:

Did everyone get an informal email from Wendy asking if you've accepted elsewhere when they pulled you off waitlist? That's how it went down last year.

Ya. Straight up didn't believe it was real. (for a bit I even thought maybe a friend could be playing a cruel joke on me lol).

I still am a bit skeptical it's real, I won't believe it until I get the full acceptance

Just now, yohohoy said:

Ya. Straight up didn't believe it was real. (for a bit I even thought maybe a friend could be playing a cruel joke on me lol).

I still am a bit skeptical it's real, I won't believe it until I get the full acceptance

Don't worry lol it's real - the formal email will come within a day or whatever. They just don't know if you've been accepted elsewhere until OMSAS updates but they want to process you as soon as possible so they just send you an email. They know you've been waiting at your inbox for the past 2 weeks lol.

22 minutes ago, Snow8765 said:

It seems like in previous years they released some on the Tuesday (yesterday) but then a bunch mid day today as well - did anyone else see this or am i just being hopeful? 

Yeah, that appears to be the trend. The way I'm reading into this is that anyone who rejected their Mac offer before ~6pm had their position offered to someone else. Anyone who rejected their spot after 6pm will have their spot offered today. That being said, there's also a chance that they were not able to send out emails offering all the positions that were open as of 6pm, which would be good news for us. Ultimately though, it's all empty speculation :( 

2 minutes ago, bins said:

If you get off the waitlist, does it show on OMSAS before you get the email? 

- cue me neurotically checking omsas - 

My guess is no. Based on what @swoman said, you get asked if you want to accept your waitlist offer first so I'd assume they'd wait for you to reply before updating OMSAS? And even that might take a few days, especially as I imagine it's a busy time. 

7 minutes ago, anythingthatworks said:

it's all empty speculation

That's why we're all here

Goddamn these waitlist activities make me want to get into heavy daydrinking. 

I'd think & hope there will be some more movement today, mainly based on last year's trend and the fact that they've been sending out offers late in the day yesterday. With that being said, yesterday could've been the big day, with much less movement happening today. 

One way or another, we need to stay hopeful. It seems that OP still hasn't gotten their guaranteed offer yet, meaning we're still somewhat early in the waitlist cycle and there are quite a few spots left!

33 minutes ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

My guess is no. Based on what @swoman said, you get asked if you want to accept your waitlist offer first so I'd assume they'd wait for you to reply before updating OMSAS? And even that might take a few days, especially as I imagine it's a busy time. 

That's why we're all here

Can confirm. Got my offer email yesterday and nothing's updated on OMSAS yet for me.

2 hours ago, DNM said:

One way or another, we need to stay hopeful. It seems that OP still hasn't gotten their guaranteed offer yet, meaning we're still somewhat early in the waitlist cycle and there are quite a few spots left!

Lol, thanks for the confidence.

Also, I still don't believe that yesterday was the "big movement" day for waitlisters. I've updated my spreadsheet and still only 3 of the original 18 on the waitlist have been given offers. (the other 6 offers were to people who hadn't self-reported to be on the waitlist prior, so aren't part of the original denominator).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1veut8qS9UI8PeHtni7NK7Vx9ONmUgoNYCohJx-G3Cx0/edit?usp=sharing

16 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

Lol, thanks for the confidence.

Also, I still don't believe that yesterday was the "big movement" day for waitlisters. I've updated my spreadsheet and still only 3 of the original 18 on the waitlist have been given offers. (the other 6 offers were to people who hadn't self-reported to be on the waitlist prior, so aren't part of the original denominator).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1veut8qS9UI8PeHtni7NK7Vx9ONmUgoNYCohJx-G3Cx0/edit?usp=sharing

Any chance you've done this for past years and knows around what percentage of waitlisted people get accepted?

1 minute ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

I think if they do make an offer they might wait again until late afternoon/evening so we can't bombard them with calls so we might have to wait a few hours today before we see anything

In the past threads it seems like some people got emails throughout the afternoon (definitely saw a couple at 12:30ish, around 2:30-3, and 4ish) - I hope some of us do too!!

13 minutes ago, RPN-RN-MD said:

Oh no, now I'm going to have to go back and do another analysis?

See you back here in a few hours...

Not primary data, but I found this post from the 2015 thread. Seems that around 20 out of 28 people got off the waitlist.

On 6/1/2015 at 2:19 PM, Quokka said:

I also have been keeping track of users on the waitlist.

28 people stated they were on the waitlist.

5 accepted other offers (3 of which got off the waitlist first, but ultimately chose to decline the offer)

17 got off the waitlist 

6 remaining

As one of those 6 still waiting, it makes me feel terrible to see those numbers to be honest. Waitlist is moving a lot this year each day without an email feels like another rejection :( I want to get in! 

(Also, I checked and Quokka did get accepted in 2017!)

6 minutes ago, cjalcyris said:

Are there any big waves left after this one... 2 weeks from now? Or does it trickle down

Based on last year's thread, quite a few people got accepted on the 28th, which corresponded to roughly 1 week after initial deadline to accept. Could be a coincidence, nonetheless if there's another wave it'd probably be 1 week from now.