Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

17 minutes ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

Hope a new message doesn’t freak anyone out—are we still being hopeful? 

There's no doubt that a pretty big portion of the waitlist offers has been sent out. But i'd think that unless we get really unlucky this year, there should be some movement next week as well. 

2 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

It's really conflicting because given how quickly they've been sending out offers for open spots, I'm assuming that there are only a handful left. At the same time, while the forum is obviously statistically inaccurate, the 4/28 value seems so out of line.

3 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

From checking the waitlist threads at other schools, it seems that Ottawa, Queen's, and Western are still to send out more offers. Western had a batch this morning so there may be a small movement today. Next Mon is the deadline to accept for the last batch Queen's sent out, and we also have the next batch of offers from Ottawa and Queen's, so we should see some movement from people holding out on their McMaster offers but preferring other schools.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, duckduckgoose18 said:

Okay, this is a bit obsessive, but the WRC Facebook group has 36 members and the NRC one 50; does that mean there are more spots available at WRC at the moment than NRC, or the latter just has more upper years in the group? Also, the facebook group is at 421 members--the previous year is at 522, not sure if that means anything or if the extra 100 is just from upper years who join in later on in the year. 

A random number of upper years join your facebook groups, including the NRC and WRC ones. I wouldn't read anything else into the numbers there. Also some new students are slow to get on joining the facebook group. It's impossible to tell. I know how stressful this waiting game is, I was all of you last year. Try to find ways to relax, though it might be hard. Best of luck!

3 hours ago, Persephone said:

A random number of upper years join your facebook groups, including the NRC and WRC ones. I wouldn't read anything else into the numbers there. Also some new students are slow to get on joining the facebook group. It's impossible to tell. I know how stressful this waiting game is, I was all of you last year. Try to find ways to relax, though it might be hard. Best of luck!

I saw your comments on last years thread. Thanks for helping us out :) does Mac eventually send out a “class is full” email? 

1 minute ago, steelchopsticks said:

I saw youre comments on last years thread. Thanks for helping us out :) does Mac eventually send out a “class is full” email? 

No problem! I am unsure, since I did get an acceptance off the wait list. Haven't heard of people who didn't get off the wait list getting an email like that though.

Many of us have probably already given up hope, and I don't blame you, but I still hold onto a small sliver.
This sliver is primarily based on my analysis of past years (linked in my signature).

Briefly, my data-mining has shown that each year, from the original list of waitlisters, the following percentage of them have received offers of admission:
2015: 70% of 20
2016: 40% of 30
2017: 39% of 18
2018: 71% of 17
2019: 14% of 28 (so far)

Although the variability is obvious, I also think that 14% is too low for this year to be over yet.
Also, I don't believe that looking any farther back than 2015 would be helpful.

At the very least, I hope these data will help future years. Good luck, all.

Let's not lose hope yet guys! 

Of course, the smart thing to do here is to be productive and make plans for the following cycle, prepare for the worst (</3)

At the same time, the waitlist has moved in June in previous years, and I assume b/c the deadlines are consistent from year to year, the situations are the same. That is, because the 2 week deadline for responses doesn't seem to have changed, I'd imagine people who got off the WL in June in previous years were just like us--not in the initial wave of waitlisters and waiting on those in the first wave to decline for another school, whether it be OOP or another Ontario WL.

5 hours ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

Let's not lose hope yet guys! 

Of course, the smart thing to do here is to be productive and make plans for the following cycle, prepare for the worst (</3)

At the same time, the waitlist has moved in June in previous years, and I assume b/c the deadlines are consistent from year to year, the situations are the same. That is, because the 2 week deadline for responses doesn't seem to have changed, I'd imagine people who got off the WL in June in previous years were just like us--not in the initial wave of waitlisters and waiting on those in the first wave to decline for another school, whether it be OOP or another Ontario WL.

4 minutes ago, duckduckgoose18 said:

This wait is death :'(

LOL I love the contrast between your two posts!

I dont even know how to say this right now... I’m at the gym finishing off a heavy squat day and the news almost knocked me clean over. Thank you to everyone here for helping me through one of the hardest months of my life... I cant wait to meet some of you in person in August...

ACCEPTED!

NIagara Regional Campus (2nd choice)

email: 3:03 pm 

Its drinks on me baby! Goodluck to everyone else. Will definitely be accepting :).

Also, for those who haven't gotten off the waitlist like me, how are you guys coping? I took a fifth year of undergrad to boost my grades and participated (and am currently participating) in a bunch of extra ECs to boost my ABS, for the purpose that if I didn't get in this year, I could try again with more confidence. But still, getting so close and then just being in limbo with the prospect of not getting in kind of stings, despite what I tell myself. 

31 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Also, for those who haven't gotten off the waitlist like me, how are you guys coping? I took a fifth year of undergrad to boost my grades and participated (and am currently participating) in a bunch of extra ECs to boost my ABS, for the purpose that if I didn't get in this year, I could try again with more confidence. But still, getting so close and then just being in limbo with the prospect of not getting in kind of stings, despite what I tell myself. 

I'm planning on pursuing a master's degree and re-applying next year with more solid research ECs under my belt and possible publications. Honestly coping right now is really hard. Some days I feel really bad as if I wasn't good enough at my best to get a spot, and some days I feel decent knowing that I have a plan for next year though. I totally feel what you mean by it stinging getting this close and not making it (as of yet). We should keep our heads up and re-apply next year using the experiences from this year to our advantage! Who knows how many people got in this year that were in our exact situation last year and used their experiences to secure a spot. We can do this!

Thanks QuantumHealth! I'm not a naturally optimistic person by nature, but I think considering how much the med application process can break people down (myself included), it's important to stay hopeful, at least the majority of the time, that you can make it eventually. I've said this above but for those who are interested, I'll be pursuing work opportunities and maybe some volunteering or research on the side during the year while reapplying. You're right too, we can use this year as a learning opportunity for how to approach the next cycle.

Don't lose heart guys! I don't want to inspire false hope, but just know that the waitlist does move in June, especially with UBC offers and other ON schools making their 2/3rd rounds.

I'm a long-timer lurker (and OSCE season procrastinator). I sympathize, I know how gut-wrenching it can be, esp as the offers are starting to come out. I was absolutely miserable for all 29 days on the waitlist. I spent all of it on PM101, agonizing over all the waves of offers that came out. Each day felt like a rejection and took a major hit on my self-esteem and well-being. 

DO NOT DO THIS. 

Go outside, enjoy the weather, stay busy, read a book, do something. 

Try to keep yourself occupied, and just know that if you've made it to the WL, you're clearly capable; interviews are a crapshoot and not at all an indication of your abilities. You managed to beat out thousands of other applicants, which means you're doing something right. Mac is willing to have you in their class, there's not just enough space, meaning you're competent enough at interviewing. 

And even if Mac doesn't work out this year, you might end up getting into another school the next year that's a much better fit for you (speaking as someone who currently has some tussles w/ Mac's curriculum).

Good luck all!