Premed 101 Forums

Need an advice please

Hello guys,

I need an honest advice here please, I am a PhD graduate and thinking of doing MD but my only concern is the age,

I need a blunt and direct advice, how old is too old? I know theoretically there isn't "too old" for med school, but I am seeking a realistic practical advice,

If I apply to Med school I'm gonna start my studies at 32-34 depending on how fast I will get in (i.e. how lucky and successful my applications will turn), is that too old? Considering that I will graduate with MD and PhD, and the answer to the expected question of (do you really want to do it?) is yes, I do. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about it and came here seeking advice...

Thank you

38 minutes ago, Should_I said:

Hello guys,

I need an honest advice here please, I am a PhD graduate and thinking of doing MD but my only concern is the age,

I need a blunt and direct advice, how old is too old? I know theoretically there isn't "too old" for med school, but I am seeking a realistic practical advice,

If I apply to Med school I'm gonna start my studies at 32-34 depending on how fast I will get in (i.e. how lucky and successful my applications will turn), is that too old? Considering that I will graduate with MD and PhD, and the answer to the expected question of (do you really want to do it?) is yes, I do. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about it and came here seeking advice...

Thank you

Here is blunt and direct advice: No, you're not too old. 

Some of the best doctors and medical students that I know started around that age, after pursing other degrees and careers.  I think your life experiences and your PhD confer an advantage, if anything.

Everyone who is applying to medicine should do a careful cost/benefit analysis before committing to an MD. You may have family considerations, for example. However if it’s only the stigma of being a little bit older, then I wouldn’t let that hold you back at all. 

Honestly, if the rest of your life can work around you being back at school, I say go for it. 

Medicine is a life-long career, being a few years older just means you're also a few years wiser. Yes, some of the other students in your class may be a whole 10 years younger than you, but they will also have much less life experience. The age I think is an asset.