Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread - 2019

3 minutes ago, hihello said:

Does anyone know anything about emailing the school and expressing interest in their program if you’re on the waitlist? I know it is common in the States but unsure if it’s beneficial (or even a thing) here in Canada 

Policy on Interference

1. Individual applicants, or their family members, delegates, and friends, are not to contact the Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education or Vice-Dean, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, directly or indirectly via telephone, letter, e-mail, any other electronic social medium or in person, regarding the application process or her/his application. To do so will be considered a breach of professionalism and any such contact or overtures will be noted and may jeopardize the individual's application

27 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Policy on Interference

1. Individual applicants, or their family members, delegates, and friends, are not to contact the Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Medical Education or Vice-Dean, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, directly or indirectly via telephone, letter, e-mail, any other electronic social medium or in person, regarding the application process or her/his application. To do so will be considered a breach of professionalism and any such contact or overtures will be noted and may jeopardize the individual's application

Ooh thanks! 

On 5/18/2019 at 12:21 AM, IMislove said:

Policy on Interference

I feel like this should be noted in the email sent out to applicants. In such an emotionally charged situation some might act out of impulse instead of looking for this type of thing 

On 5/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, CanadiensFan1234 said:

is anyone thinking of rewriting mcat? If so, when?

yup, i am thinking of taking it this August

On 5/14/2019 at 10:28 PM, MeMedMad said:

Is there any wait list candidate who has time stamp earlier than 7:17am. Just wanted to know when they started sending wait list mails?

wondering if there's more info on this? mine was at 18

3 hours ago, lioksse said:

yup, i am thinking of taking it this August

wondering if there's more info on this? mine was at 18

Does the time you receive it actually matter? I’m also confused because on my phone, it says that I received the email at 7:18, but on my computer, it says 7:19?

42 minutes ago, TheMoonshot said:

Does the time you receive it actually matter? I’m also confused because on my phone, it says that I received the email at 7:18, but on my computer, it says 7:19?

It’s time that the email was sent that matters, not received. I actually spoke with a lot of people who said they got their waitlist email at 7:20,7:21, etc, but they all actually had it sent either at 7:18 or 7:19.

5 hours ago, hey 123 said:

Hi guys, anyone from the french regular stream is going to be refusing an offer or removing themselves from the waitlist in favor of a Quebec school? 

I've seen comments from two users from French stream, stating that they will decline

10 hours ago, GLWL said:

It’s time that the email was sent that matters, not received. I actually spoke with a lot of people who said they got their waitlist email at 7:20,7:21, etc, but they all actually had it sent either at 7:18 or 7:19.

How do we see the time that the email was sent vs when we received it? Also, would you say that the time stamp is indicative of your placement on the waitlist?

18 minutes ago, rganglion said:

Does anyone else's received timestamp say it's at 11:XX instead of 7:XX? when i check the sent time it says 11, but my actual email says received at 7:18 ...weird

Your email passes through different web servers to reach you and those can be located in different parts with different time zones.

1 hour ago, lioksse said:

How do we see the time that the email was sent vs when we received it? Also, would you say that the time stamp is indicative of your placement on the waitlist?

If you are on gmail, click the three dots in the right of your email, then click show original source, and scroll down a bit to see sent time.

Honestly, I do believe it is. I was in this position last year where everyone on the good waitlist was either 7:45 or 7:46. Nobody that had a 7:46 timestamp got in, and nearly everyone from the 7:45 got in. I was at the end of the 7:45 bin seconds wise, and I didn’t get in, so I believe it stopped pretty close to where I was on the list.

One thing we can’t predict is how many people are placed in each minute timestamp. Last year it stopped at the end of 7:45, but this year there could be more people in the 7:19 than the 7:18 for example, and it may continue through it a bit. I don’t mean to crush anyone’s hopes, it isn’t 100% confirmed, so when people start getting called, we will get a better idea if they can share their gpa and seconds timestamp.

Someone also asked about why there are some people who have 7:17. Those people all seem to be 7:17:5X so my speculation is that they are in the bin that Ottawa finished at when they sent the initial 116 offers. So what should happen on the 29th is those on 7:17 will hear first, then it will pass through 7:18 gradually, and hopefully into 7:19 if there is significant movement.