Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread - 2019

2 minutes ago, CanadiensFan1234 said:

I've tried calling 2 or 3 times and got the answering machine lmao 

They seem to be getting a high volume of calls on the daily. The lady who answered me seemed pretty unimpressed with the reason I was calling for and wanted to get rid of me... I think you can expect spots to be open in English stream given that there is usually more movement than in the French stream

12 minutes ago, Peaka said:

Yall the first 2-3h where I got the email were hella rough. I'm feeling a bit better now and reminding myself that not getting in doesn't mean that I will spend the year in stagnation. 

Whatever you guys end up doing just remember that every single life experience is a step up and valuable to your development. Everything WILL be okay. I'm proud of all of us for getting this far and seriously the fact that we got an interview is EVIDENCE that we will eventually get in! One or two years, in the spectrum of our entire life, is really not much when you put it into perspective.

Best of luck in the next cycle! 

I want everyone here to say outloud (yes say it, don’t just think it) that you WILL get there. As you just said, a couple of years in the grand scheme of things isn’t huge when we’re talking about pursuing your life’s dream. Take this as an opportunity, or another opportunity for many others, as a time to grow, to self-actualize, to pursue interests outside of just the typical premed activities. You won’t have another opportunity like this once you finally do get in. After medical school, it’s residency, it’s family (if you plan on having one), etc. Your entire life essentially will already be set in stone. Whereas now, you have a chance to do whatever your heart pleases while building up necessary skills and experience for your application. Take this from a person who got rejected first cycle, then took a gap cycle and then finally reapplied the next. It hurts, I can imagine, but the amount of stuff I’ve been able to do when I took a gap etc was amazing. I feel so much more mentally prepared to take this on than I ever did right out of my undergrad. Best of luck to everyone here, please feel free to reach out if you just want a pair of ears and/or to converse about life and this premed journey. 

Persistence and perseverance will serve you all well. Whether it’s in medicine or not. As was said, getting an interview is such a huge hurdle, on paper they want you. Just gotta show them in person that you’d be an amazing person and doctor (some people are not amazing or social mature enough to do well in interviews so having strong self awareness is important). Do what you need to do to deal with the news for however long, but don’t let it consume you. Life will go on, enjoy it, and start the next cycle fresh. This is coming from a 5 time applicant. You got this :).

On 6/24/2019 at 1:28 PM, Peaka said:

Yall the first 2-3h where I got the email were hella rough. I'm feeling a bit better now and reminding myself that not getting in doesn't mean that I will spend the year in stagnation. 

Whatever you guys end up doing just remember that every single life experience is a step up and valuable to your development. Everything WILL be okay. I'm proud of all of us for getting this far and seriously the fact that we got an interview is EVIDENCE that we will eventually get in! One or two years, in the spectrum of our entire life, is really not much when you put it into perspective.

Best of luck in the next cycle! 

I was rejected from Ottawa pre-interview, Toronto and McMaster post interview and waitlisted (and eventually rejected) from queens the first time I applied. I cried and I was really unhappy applying again. 

HOWEVER, I tried again the next cycle, I was interviewed at 10 schools, went to 8 of them and was accepted by 4, waitlisted by 3 and rejected by 1. One of my acceptances was to an MD/PhD program.

honestly, being rejected the first time was huge in my personal development and learning how to cope with failure and disappointment. It helped me grow as a person and made me consider other options that would make me happy outside of medicine. Once I realized that there were other things that would make me happy, I was able to approach the application process differently (healthier and more mature) and I think it showed in my interview. 

Chin up everyone! You got and interview. It didn’t work out his time, but for most applicants it doesn’t work out the first time! The med schools will have to watch out next year! After all, they will be dealing with a stronger, older and wiser version of you!