Premed 101 Forums

Type of Research to do for Carms...

Hi everyone:

So I am trying to understand the CARMS process, and I recognize that research it is a very important aspect that is looked at, particularly more for the more competitive fields. I will also be applying to a speciality where grad degrees are favoured, however, I don't have a grad degree.  Now I was wondering how they assess your research - Do they look favorably more at someone who has more publications (i.e Case Reports and Systematic Reviews which are easier to publish) vs, someone who may have done 1-2 projects ( but the data gathering process difficult and its hard to publish this research, e.g. like clinical trials, etc)?

Basically, I'm asking if it comes down to quality or just quantity. 

I'm expecting to finish med school with 10-15 publications, but that's all I would have. How is research evaluated for competitive specialties? 

1 minute ago, lovemedicinesomuch said:

'm expecting to finish med school with 10-15 publications,

That is extremely ambitious. 

Research is often over-rated and over-emphasized my premeds and medical students. Yes there are a few specialties where research is important(and you've self identified with this), but having 10-15 real publications is extremely unlikely.  

For at least 70%+ of people, research isn't going to make the difference.

4 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Research is often over-rated and over-emphasized my premeds and medical students. Yes there are a few specialties where research is important(and you've self identified with this), but having 10-15 real publications is extremely unlikely.  

I already have 4 pubs in my first year, they are actually just systematic reviews though, and I'm in process of submitting two this month so I think I will be able to publish 10-15 by the end of med school, but my question is does the amount of research play a role in how competitive your application is. Most applicants I know applying to this field have Phds with 20-30 publications, so I probably won't be ever be able to compete at their level..

IS research just a checkbox in Carms, or does the number of research papers published count? 

2 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Which specialties would you say research is important?

In oncology it is very favourably looked upon, as the majority of practices will be academic. Regretfully, apart from unique skills in practice, it is often a sole metric used to evaluate applicants. Or at least gets their foot in the door. This is for staff level positions. But it helps tremendously at carms too for my specialty.

For the top 3 most competitive specialties (Plastics, Derm and Ophthalmology), I don't think any of them favour PhDs judging from my classmates who matched into them. They do seem to favour research productivity, which clearly you have shown with your publications. 

The specialties that really value advanced degrees would be Neurosurgery and Cardiac Surgery, but neither of which are considered "competitive" from the numbers perspective.

Publishing in respectable journals within the field is the most important. A publication in a respectable journal will generally be regarded as "quality" research by extension.

Edited by ArchEnemy

I would say that no matter what your publication count ends up being, it will not be a PhD and all that goes with it (eg quality and quantity of research, independent investigator, grants, larger clinical studies/basic science etc) - so don’t fight it. You have the research box checked for CaRMS so differentiate yourself in some other way. Whether or not programs prefer PhDs is out of your hands.