Premed 101 Forums

Chances at UWO Dental?

Hi all!

I was wondering if anybody could give me some feedback on my competitiveness for University of Western Ontario and American dental schools, as I'm a Canadian. 

For UWO:
- Best 2 years average: 87.05%
- Canadian DAT: Writing in November
- ABS/EC's: I think above average. 500+ hours in a dental office. Co-founder of a non-profit organization that received global recognition. Lots of campus volunteering with a ton of groups, etc. 

WIll I at least get an interview invite? I know my average is on the lower end, and I know DAT score matters as well, but all things considered, Do I have a shot at western

4 minutes ago, Basc72 said:

Average is in the range. It would rest on your DAT and how well you execute your personal statement and ABS :)

Thanks for the feedback! I was also just wondering if Western just looks at your two best years, or do they glance at your other two years? I figured University out late, and have a very strong upwards trend. My third year average was a 84, and 4th year average was 90.5. 

Also do you know anything regarding the physiology challenge exam? Does having to take this exam weaken my chances of getting an interview or getting an acceptance?

On 5/14/2019 at 9:11 PM, perrelli said:

Thanks for the feedback! I was also just wondering if Western just looks at your two best years, or do they glance at your other two years? I figured University out late, and have a very strong upwards trend. My third year average was a 84, and 4th year average was 90.5. 

Also do you know anything regarding the physiology challenge exam? Does having to take this exam weaken my chances of getting an interview or getting an acceptance?

Deleted

12 hours ago, Basc72 said:

Could not tell you unfortunately. I don't even want to hazard a guess because it would be totally baseless lol 

If it helps, western looked at my second and third year marks (~82 and 93 respectively). I had an upward trend for all four of my years -- don't know if that helped though.

They didn't look at my fourth year level as I saved a lot of electives in my degree to take pre-reqs in that year. I wasn't in a BSc. so I had to get a bit creative (things like organic chem I and II were not at the 3rd/4th year level)

I don't know anything about the physiology challenge exam either, sorry! :(

So I'm assuming you're currently enrolled at Schulich, or have received your acceptance?! Sorry for the annoying questions, just trying to clear my mind. Is there a certain threshold or cutoff for best 2 years that western dental has?

50 minutes ago, perrelli said:

So I'm assuming you're currently enrolled at Schulich, or have received your acceptance?! Sorry for the annoying questions, just trying to clear my mind. Is there a certain threshold or cutoff for best 2 years that western dental has?

Accepted this year yeah :)

Their website says minimum 80% in your best two years.