Premed 101 Forums

Advice for getting tutor for dentistry student in Toronto?

Hello to all hardworking dentistry students!  I  would welcome any advice and suggestions for how a first year dental studies student in Toronto could find a tutor.  Dentistry is an incredibly challenging field, but as I am not a dentist, student or even located in Toronto, I feel ill-equipped to help in this regard.  

34 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Hello to all hardworking dentistry students!  I  would welcome any advice and suggestions for how a first year dental studies student in Toronto could find a tutor.  Dentistry is an incredibly challenging field, but as I am not a dentist, student or even located in Toronto, I feel ill-equipped to help in this regard.  

Are you ... looking for a tutor to tutor you on how to tutor dental students?

Actually no, ultimately I want to find a dentistry tutor for a student in Toronto who would like help with his first year courses.  I'm looking for a tutor or at least advice and direction on how/where to find a suitable tutor.  Doesn't have to be a professional teacher, I am thinking that an upper year or graduate dentistry student would be great, someone who knows what it's like to be swamped with studies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and sorry for the delay in replying, I'm still fumbling my way around this chat forum.  The student is in North York and is studying dental hygiene, first year.  He would like help with all the coursework, reviewing the material and having it presented in ways that foster discussion and a deeper understanding.  He is quite diligent with his studying, not into partying or other distractions, but requires extra time for learning.  His current tutor leaves at the end of this month and they have been going over the material 2-3 times per week and the tutor has been asking him questions about it to make sure he understands.  The student has some tests coming up - and mid terms are in early July - so he would like to feel more confident with the course material going into these tests.  Thanks for your response, by the way!  I had to do some digging to find where "replies" were to my posting, but now I know how to get here so I will check daily.

I mean, I live in North York and I’m a licensed dentist.  I think I would be out of your price range.   I don’t see myself tutoring for less than $80/hour as that’s already a significant pay cut to simply working.  

I can ask a hygienist I work with as well if you give me more info.  (Best if you can figure out how to private message me).  

Great minds think alike - the student actually has lined up a couple of potential tutors - both of them are studying undergrad dentistry, so hopefully at least one of them will be a good fit for helping him with his dental hygiene studies.  I'm very grateful for the good advice and help I've encountered on this forum, BTW.  Medical and dental professionals (present and future) are good people!  :)