Premed 101 Forums

Going from English education to French MD ... in need of advice

Hi all! I was recently accepted to the uOttawa French stream and am extremely grateful for it. I'm sort of nervous, however, about it being in French. I grew up in a French household but completed almost all of my studies (including undergrad in English). I've read a lot about people switching from French to English and how that's doable. Is the opposite also true? When I first applied, I felt very confident about overcoming this fear of learning in French since a very long time. Now, I just keep doubting myself. Any advice? Are there any students who went through the same thing and don't regret making the decision one bit?

I'm super keen on studying in French as I will likely be living in a French-speaking area later in my life and would love to apply to French residencies. Me doubting myself is what's killing me. Would appreciate any advice!

I had that worry and can tell you that it is 100% do-able. I'm in the French stream and I study the material primarily in English but apply it in French (this is something you need to do especially for group case-based discussions, patient interactions, speaking to physicians etc). 

I'm like you where I did my undergrad in English and so my brain is almost completely hard wired to think an reason in English. Its therefore easier for me to learn in English first before translating it in my brain to French rather than to learn it in French the first time - if that makes sense. 

To further add to that, some of the best ressources out there are almost only in English and especially for Cardiology, its even recommended that we buy Lilly's Cardiology (which is only in English). 

Its extremely frustating and confusing to learn something in French first and then have to cross reference it in English online. 

The MD program in Ottawa is by definition, a bilingual one and most of the French class is comfortable in both languages. 

you'll be just fine and you will not regret it one bit. Just wait and see. 

On 5/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, circlecircledotdot said:

I had that worry and can tell you that it is 100% do-able. I'm in the French stream and I study the material primarily in English but apply it in French (this is something you need to do especially for group case-based discussions, patient interactions, speaking to physicians etc). 

I'm like you where I did my undergrad in English and so my brain is almost completely hard wired to think an reason in English. Its therefore easier for me to learn in English first before translating it in my brain to French rather than to learn it in French the first time - if that makes sense. 

To further add to that, some of the best ressources out there are almost only in English and especially for Cardiology, its even recommended that we buy Lilly's Cardiology (which is only in English). 

Its extremely frustating and confusing to learn something in French first and then have to cross reference it in English online. 

The MD program in Ottawa is by definition, a bilingual one and most of the French class is comfortable in both languages. 

you'll be just fine and you will not regret it one bit. Just wait and see. 

this makes me feel SO much better!! thank you so much for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it! :) I'm very happy to hear that it is doable and really looking forward to it.

I did have one more question: when in the French stream, are we allowed to do research with a supervisor in English or do we have to be in a research lab that is in French? Thank you again!

You will do fine, especially as  texts are in English and you will be allowed to write exams in English. In Quebec, we had no choice but to write all in French. My French was bad, I always had to work harder than the other students whose first language was French, yet I obtained my MD and was acceptedcto a highly competitivecsurgiczl specialty. Medical language is a new language, so you will learn the words in both languages. You are very fortunate to become educated in a bilingual system, we, in Quebec, whose French was very bad, had to do absolutely everything in French. Still, we all succeeded. Enjoy the journey. 

I found I could not understand thecprofs in lectures as theyceither mumbled or spoke too fast for me. After my first week of Med school, as I found the lectures to be a total.waste of my time, I became self taught and used the lecture timecto study on my own. I was always studying, itvwas difficult, but I landed well.

• 2 months later...