Premed 101 Forums

Queens Waitlist 2019

• 2 weeks later...

Probably Tuesday or Wednesday, after the deadline for round 2 offers. Idle speculation: FB group (I know it's not reliable but there's not much to go on lol) has grown from 116 (after 1st round) to 135 (2nd round). So ~19 waitlist offers have been made. Last year, I believe there were 80 waitlist offers (in addition to 100 initial) made. Which leaves 61 offers left. Plus, people are now getting waitlist offers from other schools and will be removing themselves from Queen's. If you take that into account, there's still a healthy amount of people who should be hearing back soon. Hope that encourages you. Feel free to discuss.

Edit: also, potential deferrals

4 minutes ago, conbrio said:

Probably Tuesday or Wednesday, after the deadline for round 2 offers. Idle speculation: FB group (I know it's not reliable but there's not much to go on lol) has grown from 116 (after 1st round) to 135 (2nd round). So ~19 waitlist offers have been made. Last year, I believe there were 80 waitlist offers (in addition to 100 initial) made. Which leaves 61 offers left. Plus, people are now getting waitlist offers from other schools and will be removing themselves from Queen's. If you take that into account, there's still a healthy amount of people who should be hearing back soon. Hope that encourages you. Feel free to discuss.

Thanks, always good to stay optimistic I suppose :) There are ~49-50 people who've introduced themselves on the Facebook group so those spots are for sure taken (yes, I'm a creeper). But I can't imagine that the class is only half full...I mean, everytime I hear that Queen's had to give out ~180-190 offers for 100 seats, I just don't understand whose turning down these seats...

12 minutes ago, hiyayosup said:

Thanks, always good to stay optimistic I suppose :) There are ~49-50 people who've introduced themselves on the Facebook group so those spots are for sure taken (yes, I'm a creeper). But I can't imagine that the class is only half full...I mean, everytime I hear that Queen's had to give out ~180-190 offers for 100 seats, I just don't understand whose turning down these seats...

Hard to believe for sure.. I'd imagine it might have to do with the fact that (correct me if I'm wrong) anybody, across Canada, has an equal opportunity to get interviewed at Queen's. Many of these people are from provinces which have schools that prefer in-province applicants. So these people theoretically have a greater chance of being accepted at their home schools, in addition to schools other than Queen's. When it comes to decision, they are more likely to have a few options to choose from and in terms of numbers are not always going to select Queen's. Calgary, UBC, Dalhousie, etc... 

There are many attractive qualities about Queen's.. a tight-knit, small student body (many schools have 2x the number of students), a relatively isolated, small college-town vibe, and 'unique' programming (getting to do electives earlier, PBL, patient experience stuff) that are not frequently found in other schools and may not actually be preferred by some students. They may end up preferring a more traditional type of schooling at a city like Toronto, which they may be used to. Who knows though.

Makes you wonder if Queen's makes any effort to select for students who would fit well to these qualities. Probably...