Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Result: Accepted from waitlist

Time stamp: 3:18 p.m. (MT), June 5

wGPA: 3.50

MCAT: PS-10 / VR-12 / BS-14

ECs: Mostly long-term. Hospital volunteer, member of hospital clinical ethics committee, M.Sc./Ph.D. work, meaningful leadership scholarship, health education position with university health centre, unique tutoring experience, philosophy and ethics course audits, graduate student coordinator/mentor, outreach in the cancer community, president of my university residence. Outside of top ten: publications, conference abstracts, awards, and unique employment.

Interview: The day was great and the people were awesome! Very well-organized and the scenarios were solid. I felt that the MMI went decently well.

Year: Ph.D. Candidate

Geography: IP

I am insanely stoked to attend UofC.

Good luck to remaining waitlisters!

Accepted off the Waitlist

Time stamp: 3:18 PM June 5

wGPA: 3.58

MCAT: PS-09 / VR-12 / BS-12

ECs: Swimming Instructor (5yrs), Lifeguard (3yrs), Volunteer at Urgent Care (2yrs), Volunteer at AHS Data Entry (1 summer), Flu Clerk (1yr), Self-Taught Japanese/Japan Study Abroad (3yrs), Volunteering with U of C (1yr), UC Idol Director (2 seasons), Improv (5yrs), Camp Councellor (2 summers), Rural Shadowing (1 week)

Interview: I think it went really well. Only one station I felt went poorly.

Year: 3rd year BHSc

Calgary was the only school I applied to, so I'm going to have to snag one of these remaining spots. Can't wait for July :)

• 3 weeks later...

Accepted first round on May 14th.

GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 11 VR

ECs: Quite a few research publications and presentations, national level public speaking awards, a ton of volunteering, several academic and community service scholarships and awards, provincial level athletics, and president/vice-president/executive positions for different clubs, a company, and organizations.

Interview: Found it quite hard, but prepped extensively for it. Debate classes and public speaking throughout high school and undergrad helped a lot. Really really fun experience and would love to do it again.

Year: 4th Year

Geography: OOP

Sorry for the late post. Wanted to get everything sorted out before posting my stats. Absolutely loved applying to U of C. Great admissions committee. Would've honestly loved to go there if it wasn't for having family in Ontario.

Edited by Fresh fry

• 9 months later...

Rejected.

IP

3.7, graduated

14-12-11-Q

ECs: not bad

Second time rejected post-interview; very low interview score last year

@Juggernaut: it's good to see that interview scores aren't totally stable year-to-year! Did you do something specific to raise it, or do you think it was just luck?

Rejected 

4th year IP 

GPA: 3.91

MCAT: 10 VR (balanced overall) 

ECs: Just saw the stats on UCAN, and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Good sign for next year, hopefully.  :)

Interview: Argh. :huh:  Slightly below average. 

I was ~1.9 points away from the minimum accepted score last year, but that wasn't even enough for waitlist this year. 

Congratulations to those who got in! You deserve it! Best of luck to people on the waitlist. 

Accepted!

!! I'm so excited I keep thinking it's fake and they'll take it back

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 11 verbal, pretty crap everything else

EC: 7 years hospital volunteering, some musical/other faculty art related stuff, two poster publications with WHO, pretty average overall

Interview: felt it went good for most, definitely a few that made me want to bash my head on the desk for blabbering

Graduated 2014 OOP

Edited by Fresh fry

Rejected.

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 11VR

ECs: extensive work experience throughout undergrad, executive positions in community not-for-profits, research.

Interview: I felt it went horrible, and wasn't surprised when I saw my interview score. Very low score.

OOP, graduated and working

5th year IP: Professional Program; Accepted

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 10 VR 

Interview: Felt amazing on 9 stations, good on 1 and unsure on 2.

This is my third year interviewing at medical schools, and my first time interviewing at the U of C. Will probably accept.

The only advice I can give is at the interview.... realize that you belong there. You are just as talented as everyone else. Walk in with a happy and clear mindset. I was ridiculously calm the whole time and it finally worked out. The feeling is amazing  :)

Result: Rejected 
GPA: 3.84
MCAT: 10/11/12
ECs: Thought these were horrible (UBC thought so), but pleased to see a very high percentile. 
Interview: I thought it went well on all but two or three stations! It didn't go well at all. Will have to practice for next time. I will mention though, I actually had a great time interviewing. I guess I just didn't give them quite what they wanted.
Year: 4

OOP: Accepted

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 11/11/11

ECs: Pretty good overall, with a lot of really unique experiences working in the NWT and Nunavut, lots of volunteering and lots of research but few publications

Interview: Thought that I bombed it. Like, truly terrible. But I guess it couldn't have been that bad!!

Year: Finished undergrad and  working as a research assistant for 2 years

Will likely be accepting this offer. Calgary was my top choice from the get-go!

Thanks to everyone that's been so supportive on these threads-- never thought this day would come!! So grateful!

If you didn't get in this year, keep plugging away. GPA and MCAT isn't everything! Pursue something unique that you're passionate about-- that is certainly what gained me an acceptance!

Can't believe I am finally getting to post this!! In a state of shock!!!

Edited by Fresh fry

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 11 (36 overall)
ECs: Lots of research and leadership activities
Year: Master's degree - been working for 1.5 years now

Interview: Felt good on most stations. I practiced a TON this year. 

Hope for those with a little lower GPA! 

So excited to be posting this after a long, long journey. 3rd time applying. Interviewed once before. Previous interview was about 25th percentile with minimal prep.

Edited by Fresh fry

Result: Accepted!
GPA: 3.81

ECs: Quite non-trad and pretty diverse--I'm happy to share more, if interested. This is a career change for me and I may be one of the oldest people in the class of 2018 at 35 years. There is hope for the non-trads.
Year: Completed BSc June 2014, previous 2-year diploma in design & media studies.
Geography : IP

Interview: Bag of nerves the whole time and couldn't enjoy myself for much of the day, but loved the school, current students, faculty, and staff. Every one of my interviewing compatriots that I met during interview day was amazing--I genuinely felt honoured and humbled to be surrounded by such amazing people. I felt my performance on the MMI was a huge mix. My first station was a self-proclaimed disaster... other than that, I thought it was impossible to objectively measure my own performance. Rejected pre-interview last cycle.

In the coming days, I'll likely be writing a longer post in the non-trad section since I think my journey to this point and who I am as a person would clearly fall into the non-trad category. I'm truly in shock right now and so grateful and excited to join my classmates in July. I have always been pretty tunnel-visioned to Calgary's program and I'm immensely excited that I get to join such an amazing group!

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.37
MCAT: 12 VR, average on the rest
ECs: current masters student, community volunteering mostly with youth
Year: 1st year MSc
Geography : IP

Interview: Fun, thought it went well but really who knows with these things

I have never posted in a pre-med 101 forum but felt like I needed to today to give some hope (like the person above me) to those with a lower (and look at mine, i mean LOW) GPA....it definitely has not been an easy road, but after 3 tries I have been accepted and couldn't be happier. I will be defering my admission as part of the Leaders in Medicine option, which I cannot wait for. Congrats to everyone accepted, and for those who have to wait another year keep your chin up....you can do this!

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 12-BS/13-VR/10-PS/S-WR

ECs: Student government, volunteering and working for a non-profit, lab work (honours thesis and small online only publication), volunteering abroad, work within my church community

Year: Graduated UG 2013, currently working

Interview: Thought it went a lot better than last year, but it looks like I dropped by 15 percentile this year, not really sure what to make of it

For anyone interested, my pre-MMI score also dropped by 5 percentile points, and I submitted a pretty similar application to last year (swapped out one activity and changed the wording a bit for a few of the others). I guess this year had an especially good applicant pool.

Result: Accepted!!!

Man, this still seems so surreal!!!

GPA: 3.98
MCAT: 14/13/12
ECs: Honours w/ publication, varsity volleyball, volunteer coaching and tutoring, food bank involvement/founded a campus vegetable garden, worked for BC Cancer Society
Year: Just finished BSc Kinesiology
Geography : OOP

Interview: Wasn't too sure, thought a few of them went really well, the one right after the fire alarm was awful haha..  it was my third interview so I wasn't super nervous, and that helped a lot!! Also, everyone at the interview day was SO friendly and accommodating- it definitely helped ease the stress! 

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I can't WAIT to meet everyone in July!!  :)

Again, congrats to all those who got in, I can't wait to meet you :) And to all those who didn't get in this time, keep your heads held high because it was a long road and we all made it this far! 

Edited by Fresh fry