Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Just for record sake, 

Accepted, first round (wasn't on waitlist). 

Geography :IP 

GPA: 3.89 

MCAT: 503/  CARS 123 (pretty bad but I explained that I am an English second language). 

Degree : 4th year , BSc. Graduated April 2017 

E.C: long term volunteering with multiple non profit organizations. Research (summer plus one year independent project). Lots of volunteering and diverse life experience. 

Interview : I felt it went very well, I was casual and myself the whole time. I also prepared for the interview extensively. 

I posted to assure those who thinks that they don't have a chance because of low CARS score, not to give up as it is possible to get in !!! 

• 9 months later...

Result: Waitlist

Geography :IP 

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 521/  CARS 129

Degree : 2nd year MSc

E.C: Lots of diverse things including research (2 pubs), living abroad, etc

Interview : I didn't feel it went that well, so I'm not all that surprised, but who knows how things might change between now and July 4 (or next week, when AB releases!)

Result: Accepted

Geography : Non-Ab

GPA: 3.8x

MCAT: CARS 128

Degree : BSc Graduated

E.C: A range of diverse, long-term commitments. Will update later. Feel free to PM me if you'd like!

Interview : Felt ok about it!

Wow, was not expecting this at all... Very excited to meet the incoming class in July! To all those not receiving the news you were hoping today, I've been there and it hurts. Don't give up if it's what you truly want. Persistence is key! :) 

Result: Accepted!!

Geography : IP

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: CARS 129 Total 515

Degree : BSc Graduating April 2018

E.C: I think average in terms of diversity. Lots of hours put in over the last few years. 

Interview : Felt pretty good! Felt confident, but afterwards was second-guessing myself like most people haha

Beyond hype right now!!!

Rejected

IP

MCAT 513 - CARS: 127

3rd year undergrad

On the day of, I thought my panel interviews went well and that the MMI went generally well. But upon reflecting, I think that I was probably pretty immature(or didn't give as much thought) with some of my responses in the panel, and for one or two of the MMI stations wasn't as sympathetic as I should've been. I also had a pretty severe cold on that day too but that's no excuse.

ECs: Not very diverse, but a number of them are pretty long term.

Accepted!

IP 

MCAT: 518, CARS: 130 

Graduating 2018 BSc

GPA: 3.97

EC: 4 years varsity team, university mental health volunteer, hospital volunteer, leader of a team within a student group, research experience (independent product plus fieldwork)

Interview: Cautiously confident, felt I bombed the group aspect but my panel interviewers seemed to like me. MMI is impossible to tell 

I know how much luck goes into getting an acceptance and I am so grateful! Fingers crossed for U of A

Waitlisted

GeographyIP 

cGPA/wGPA: 3.70/3.81

MCAT: 526  CARS132

Degree : BA Honours (2016)

E.C: Everyone's postings are usually so vague! Here's a specific list of EC's for those of you who find it helpful: ongoing volunteer work for a small global health NGO since Fall of 2016 (Mata Jai Kaur Maternal and Child Health Centre; part-time in Canada and full-time in India for 3 months); volunteer internship in the Office of Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson (3 months); high-school summer internship at the Stefan Pukatzki bacteriology lab through Alberta's HYRS program; consistent summer employment at the Telus World of Science Edmonton (3 summers full-time, 1 summer part-time); "Executive Facilitator" (pretentious title, hey?) for the McGill Philosophy Student Association; 1 publication in Pensées Canadiennes (national undergraduate philosophy journal); typical activities/hobbies (9 years of dance, 12 years of music).

Interview : It was my first interview! I didn't know what to expect and, as others have noted, it was difficult to evaluate performance since U of C's MMI questions were more unusual than those at other schools. I feel that I answered some questions well and others more poorly, which I suspect is the same for many others here. 

Congratulations to all the outstanding applicants who were invited! I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to learn with and from you in the future!

Rejected (Second Time Post-Interview)

IP
MCAT: 517 (125 CARS)
BSc 2017 Graduated
EC: Coaching, research, various volunteering and athletics, felt I improved my Top 10 a lot but will see soon
Interview: Prepared so much more this year and felt pretty good about the panel. There were some bad MMI stations (2?) but for the most part felt good. Not sure about the group station?

I know I'm pretty lucky to receive an interview but it's hard not to feel heartbroken. I don't have much confidence now but hopefully my other two schools go better... Congrats to those that got in or are waitlisted, you all deserve it and I'm super happy for you all! For those that didn't get the result you wanted, stay strong and be proud of what you've accomplished. I admire your perseverance especially those that have gone through this so many times, I'm not sure how you do it but thank you for being an inspiration!

Rejected 

Geography: IP 

cGPA/wGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 518  CARS: 132

Degree : BSc General Biology

EC's: Played university basketball for five years and a variety of other sports throughout high school. Volunteered abroad at a variety of locations and travelled fairly extensively. Volunteered in my community with Special Olympics, the local hospital, and at a variety of smaller events with my basketball team. Work extensively with my family business. No research other than a few school projects that don't count.

Interview: Thought it went fairly well, but as I have found out from the previous 6 times I have interviewed (primarily at UBC & Queens over 3 years) it obviously did not. I think I may have to change my personality, or just start to fake being someone else. Just being yourself doesn't appear to work! Anyways I'm just a bit discouraged, probably being a bit dramatic. 

It appears that they may have made a mistake and released the emails too early? There has been no communication from the school's side saying they were going to release and giving people over a month to decide seems very unusual. On top of that, I cannot see my stats which the email says I should be able to. Interesting......

Congrats to everyone that was accepted or waitlisted today, you made it!!!

Accepted!

IP

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 512 CARS: 127

EC: Ten years of healthcare experience.

Interview: Terrible!!!! My panel and group stations went very well, but I bombed at least 2 MMIs. 

I don’t even have words to express how excited I am to have this opportunity. For those of you who weren’t successful, whatever you do, don’t give up. 

Accepted!

IP

GPA 3.99

MCAT 504 (CARS 124)

Degree: BSc (Hon 1rst Class) KNES, Current: MSc MDNS

EC: Music, hockey, previous retail work, hospital and senior home volunteering, SOC coach, lots of research, mental health committees and outreach, academic mentoring, community mentor.

Interview: Awesome! First time interviewing. Went in feeling really confident and just had lots of fun with it. Cracked jokes in a couple MMI stations and really enjoyed myself. Didn't give any scripted answers just answered everything as genuinely as possible. Had a great group of people in my MMI track that supported and encouraged each other so that probably helped. Overall, a really fun day.

For those who were not successful, keep at it and good luck.

Accepted

IP

GPA: 3.90

CARS: 129 

4th year undergrad 

EC:  tried to steer clear of typical pre-med stuff in my top 10, lots of work experience while in school, several pubs 

Interview: did not feel great about most of it but I guess it wasn't as terrible as I thought!  

Regrets (2nd time post-interview for UofC)

IP

GPA: 3.98

Graduated BSc

EC: varsity athlete, public speaking, long-term senior care home, tutoring, mentorship, youth coaching, all long-term commitments

Interview: felt relatively comfortable and pretty personal, had maybe a couple of iffy MMI stations, panel felt natural. Safe to say my assessment of the interview was not acccurate at all.

Safe to say I'm incredibly frustrated with the news. I thought I improved my application quite a bit between this year and last year, and I felt my experience with the interview last year was going to work in my favour (I made a big improvement in CARS and boosted my Top 10 with more work experience). I spent 2 months preparing for the interview. It's hard not to walk out of this now and take it personally when you felt like you put everything into it. Honestly feeling like I just either don't have that "element" that UofC is looking for, or it's a personality thing.

UofC Graduate here, and it feels like UofC is that cruel ex- who keeps on pulling you back in, only to rub more salt in the wound.

I feel like I just spent a whole episode of Hell's Kitchen making the most exquisite quiche ever, just to have Gordon Ramsay destroy it.

I interviewed at 3 other schools, so I'm really hoping at least one of these others clicked. I really did feel like Calgary was my legit back-up, so it's hard not to come away from this feeling disappointed

Results: Accepted!

IP

gpa: 3.5x completed PhD (3.9 gpa), post doctoral fellowship. peer review publications, awards, many hours of diverse volunteering.

I have applied multiple times, first time to interview. I’m extremely happy with this opportunity!

I didn’t feel too good about the first two stations, but I didn’t let it cloud my mind,  so I tried to adjust and carry on.

for those who didn’t make it this year, Keep trying, it will happen eventually, good luck!

Congrats to those accepted/waitlisted. 

Accepted

IP

GPA: 3.99

Completed BSc last Spring. 

Top 10: Nothing outstanding but personal experiences and emphasized the impact and growth they provided me.  

Interview: Felt thrown off from the first MMI station and the 2 1/2 hour interview drained me so I felt my mind drifted by the end but something must have worked :) Third time applying, second time interviewing. Keep at it everyone who may have been wait-listed or unsuccessful this cycle!