Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

(a bit late but I found info on this thread to be really helpful before so here I am:))

Accepted

Geography : IP (2 years of high school in Calgary, 4 years of undergrad in Toronto - lucky me)

GPA: 3.96 (calculated by UCAN)

MCAT: 515 (126/127/131/131)

Degree : 4th Year Undergrad, UofT (will graduate in Jun 2019)

EC: Research projects, paid summer research position, regular running/exercising, co-president/initiator of a running club, clinical shadowing, director of a club, diverse volunteering positions (teacher in rural areas, at local food bank & long-term care center, etc.), mentorship, immigration experience

Interview: UofC was my second interview so I was definitely less anxious. The interview process itself was a bit long (my mouth was so dry during the last station I thought I was going to lose my voice lol), but other than that I enjoyed the experience! Most of the interviewers were nice and warm, and it felt like they genuinely want to learn about me. I prepared for the interview by talking to myself and to my pencil bag (lol), writing down my answers and re-read them, and doing a mock MMI with my friends. Do whatever you could to make yourself feel more confident and prepared!

I will decline the offer for UofT, so best of luck for everyone who's on waitlist!!

Result: Accepted

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.95+ (calculated by UCAN)

MCAT: 520+ (130+ CARS)

Degree : UG

EC: Very well-rounded, PM if curious

Interview: First interview, but I really loved their interview style. Got a very good feeling from the school overall and would've been happy to attend

Will be declining

Really excited to be posting this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted to U of A but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Result: Waitlisted

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.96 for U of C

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

If I get off of the waitlist, I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted somewhere, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

EDIT: Accepted off of the waitlist June 7th, declined for U of A

Edited by PTturnsMD

• 2 weeks later...

Timestamp: 2:53 pm PST

Accepted off of waitlist 

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 511 (129/128/128/126)

Year: BSc from 2017 

EC: I worked in a restaurant, taught educational nature classes, and researched/presented in front of doctors to promote nature as a prescribing tool. I volunteered at many different organizations culminating in around 1000 hours, most roles were assisting a demographic and supporting them however I could. LGBTQ+ Member and activist. In high school, I was part of a city junior council. 

will be declining! Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist

Timestamp: June 3rd 10:35am 

Accepted of Waitlist

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 512 (125 CARS)

Declined offer in favour of UofA. 

Posting just for stats since I have a very low CARS score. I want to let people know that it is possible to get into Calgary with a low score! Keep trying folks! 

Good luck waitlisters! 

Timestamp: June 12th 12:45 PM

Accepted off Waitlist

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 517 (127 CARS)

Year: 4th Year BSc

I have accepted my offer! This was my second time applying and I am so beyond excited to have gotten in! To those of you who interviewed but did not get in this time around, keep trying and know that it is possible to improve significantly on the interview. I scored below the 20th percentile on my interview last year but prepared extensively for this year's interview and felt much better about it this time around. Feel free to PM me for interview prep resources/suggestions. :)

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 12:47 AM, oceanman said:

Geography: In-province

cGPA: 3.93 after ten-year exclusion rule

MCAT: 519 (130/130/129/130)

EC: Non-traditional applicant, RN for 7 years, lots of clinical research and advocacy, worked exclusively with vulnerable populations.

MMI: didn't feel good about it. Some of the stations were unusual and I didn't feel I was able to express what I had to offer, even in the panels. Evidently, it was good enough.

First time applying to medical school. Accepted to both UofC and UofA. Will accept UofC because I really appreciated their transparency with the application process, as well their stated values. Plus, I already live here and it's shorter! 

Are these GPA's adjusted or does everyone have 3.9's cumulatively?

• 10 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 10:29 PM, PTturnsMD said:

Really excited to be posting this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted to U of A but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.96 for U of C

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

If I get off of the waitlist, I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted somewhere, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

EDIT: Accepted off of the waitlist June 7th, declined for U of A

Hey, was your PT GPA used as just one year, or did it count for two seeing as its course based?

• 11 months later...

Result: Accepted (2:51pm MT)

GPA: high 3.8s

Degree: UG many years ago

EC: Non-traditional background, have worked in an unrelated field for the past decade. Lots of leadership through that, and reasonably involved in my community.

Interview: Felt very good about it, during and afterward

You're never too old to change course and pursue a dream!

Result: Accepted!!!! 3:00pm MST

GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 519 (129 CARS)

Degree: B.Sc. Honours Psychology and B.Sc. Honours Biology

EC: For my top 10 I really tried to tell stories that showed my qualities and how those experiences impacted me. They included working at a bank, backpacking in Europe, working at the hospital as a unit clerk, volunteering as a community support volunteer, research award, working as a supplemental learning leader, research publication, clinical research, course union executive, and being a mother.

Interview: Compared to all the other interviews I had, this one felt the best. The questions were pretty straightforward and there was nothing really surprising! 

I am honestly just extremely grateful to have this opportunity as a first time applicant because I know there are SOOO many deserving people out there who have applied numerous times. I was really not expecting this! (especially after the big R from UofA!)

Congratulations to everyone who received offers and to those of you who didn't, don't give up!!

Result: Accepted 5:40pm EST

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 525 (132 CARS)

Degree: Just finished 4th year

EC: Graduating/attending uni as first gen + other barriers, volunteer w refugees, research, a cool job I had in the trades, TA, overcoming homelessness, cancer, living in another country, a group I started focused on homelessness, exec of a healthcare related club. Basically lots of life experiences vs ECs.

Interview: By far my worst interview tbh. I struggled with the format (kept getting distracted by the huge block of text on the side lol) and only felt good/above average about 1 station. Felt similar abt Mac and also got an offer there so clearly I'm not a good judge of my performance.

Will probably be declining, good luck everyone!

Result: Rejected (5:46pm EST)

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 519 (131 CARS)

Degree: BSc 2017, MSc 2019

EC: Physician's assistant/scribe, president of club, lots of volunteering with children, volunteering at mental health institute and seniors residence, camp instructor two summers, mission trips to the Caribbean, research presentations and publication in submission (now published but wasn't when I applied), some awards

Interview: Thought it went well, guess not?

Result: Accepted 3PM MST 

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 512 (126 CARS)

Degree: BSc Honours Anthropology 

EC (what I wrote for top ten): sorority exec, volunteer with emergency department, vulnerable populations and the food insecure, commitment to learning a language, giving birth and raising my son during a pandemic, renovating my house, family stuff and how it’s impacted me, research assistant for two profs and one poster presentation at an international conference. 

Interview: I actually thought this interview went really well. That being said I had an interview coach and prepped for it every day. I felt especially confident with this one compared to U of A’s 

Thoughts: I just wanted to take a second to congratulate everyone who received an offer or even was waitlisted that is an immense feat and you should celebrate regardless. To those that received bad news today do not let it stop you, this process is overwhelming and try to not let a rejection define you. Take some time, take care of yourself and pick yourself up and try again. This blog has been a community for me throughout this process and there’s so many people you can depend on and reach out to talk to if you need (me being one of them). 

Oh also, to all waitlisted at U of A. I will be declining my U of A offer for Calgary. Hope it helps some! 

Result: Waitlisted 3:30PM MST

GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 126 CARS

Degree: BSc 

ECs: An absolute ton of work with youth mentorship/teaching/leadership, a lot of work with a specific vulnerable population/cultural community, long term sports and fitness activities, multiple research activities across different fields, some mental health stuff. Tried to write about my areas of interest and passions by focusing in on some key themes.

Interview: I think most stations were "good," but I had 2 areas that I think I botched. Funny enough, I tried to set aside all the emotions I was feeling this morning to ask myself rationally what I thought the outcome of today would be. Being waitlisted was my conclusion, and sure enough here I am.

I drove out to somewhere private to read my decision email. It was quite anti-climactic to say the least. I felt quite neutral after reading it but I’m starting to feel worse about it now. This of course isn't to say I'm ungrateful for being in the position I'm in, I recognize how lucky I am and I empathize with everyone who didn't get the news they wanted today! Really praying for some waitlist movement, but thankfully it seems as though the U of C waitlist experiences quite a bit of movement relatively speaking. Still finding it hard not to get down on myself, idk how many more cycles of this I can do and I feel quite desperate with only 1 interview. I am finding it really difficult to balance work, my other activities and studying for the MCAT again. Props to all the non-trads/parents/those with full time careers that are able to balance so much, I can’t image how difficult it must be

Result: Accepted (2:51 pm)

GPA: 3.76

MCAT: 508 (130 CARS)

Degree: BA, 2018  (I worked very hard to get that 508 with no science background!!)

EC: My Top 10 and employment experience all told the story (imo) of my main areas of passion and how they intersect. I have over 10 years of working, volunteering, and advocating in these fields, plus I shared a number of personal experiences and identity related things that led to those passions.

Interview:  I prepped by reading everything I could find about MMIs and did all the practice scenarios I found online from various schools. I recorded myself doing mock interviews twice (just solo though, no practice interviewers) and watched them back, then adjusted my approach for being on webcam, e.g. eye contact, background, fidgets, verbal tics. Hopefully the online part won’t be relevant in future years but I worked really hard to feel solid in the virtual environment! I felt very confident about most of the stations during and after. I wish I had spent a little more time thinking about examples I could use from my own life in responding to various scenarios, but it might not have helped in the end and obviously didn’t hinder that I didn’t prepare more on that front. 

4 hours ago, CanNonTrad said:

Result: Accepted (2:51pm MT)

GPA: high 3.8s

Degree: UG many years ago

EC: Non-traditional background, have worked in an unrelated field for the past decade. Lots of leadership through that, and reasonably involved in my community.

Interview: Felt very good about it, during and afterward

You're never too old to change course and pursue a dream!

also non trad here! So looking forward to meeting all the other people with windy roads to get here :) 

Result: Waitlisted 

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 505 (128 CARS)

Degree: BSc Honours Kinesiology (2019) & finishing a Master of Management in June

EC (what I wrote for top ten): Several long term volunteer roles (Adapted physical activity with kids with special needs, neuro-rehab assistant, one overseas volunteer experience - had to be careful with this one lol, research assistant at ACH, refugee aid), research experience, work in a managerial role, experience as an athlete, my experience as a patient, and one hobby (hiking). 

Interview: Only school I applied to. Thought it went well overall, some stations were better than others but don't think I actively bombed any. Knew I'd be on the lower end of applicants that interviewed based on my lower stats so I think it went well to put me in the position of being waitlisted.

Thoughts: I'm a third time applicant. Hoping for some good news in the coming months, thankful I've still got any chance.  

Result: Reject

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 520 (131 CARS)

Degree: 4th year undergrad

EC (what I wrote for top ten): lots of part-time work study employment and summer jobs, a year of co-op and some average-ish volunteering gigs. I put the essays together the night before so honestly was surprised I even got an interview. 

Interview: Was quite a disaster. They said in the info night that all sub-questions will have a score so I was extremely fast in my pace to finish all 5 (6?) questions in the time for each station, but I noticed how displeased the interviewers looked when they see me rush to the next question. Guess that wasn't the right strategy and should've tried to prioritize quality. 

Result: Rejection

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 520 (128 CARS) 

Degree: 3rd Year UG 

EC (what I wrote for top ten): Heavy involvement in the arts, club presidency, SU committees, homelessness volunteering & advocacy, research 

Interview: It started off BAD because my computer crashed on the first station. Was stunned for a few stations but eventually picked up around the 4th one of 8. Thought the rest went well but clearly it did not. 

Very happy for my friends that got in. I'll miss them :') 

GPA: 3.8X

MCAT: 129 CARS

Degree: BSc Psychology & Sociology

EC: Personal adversities, working at various medical clinics throughout the past few years, volunteering at a brain and spinal cord clinic, serial killer research, helping family start a food truck, things I learned from a friends battle with cancer. Definitely think this was a strong part of my application. 

Interview: Felt really good. I honestly just tried to be genuine and as real as possible. I didn't rehearse, but knew my opinions or how I would behave in certain situations and just gave them a true answer. I had tech issues so only I was only able to complete 6/8 stations but they did say that that wouldn't be held against you.