Premed 101 Forums
Guest happy2bme

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

On 5/11/2019 at 2:18 AM, i8aSS said:

Dr. Ian Flemming seems like an awesome person. I can tell how passionate he is about his job. Out of all the other schools I applied to, he gave me the impression that he's the most caring. Extremely impressed with how much time and effort him/his team spent interviewing us - very grateful !!

I suspect you like James Bond and James Bond novels ;)

(a bit late but I found info on this thread to be really helpful before so here I am:))

Accepted

Geography : IP (2 years of high school in Calgary, 4 years of undergrad in Toronto - lucky me)

GPA: 3.96 (calculated by UCAN)

MCAT: 515 (126/127/131/131)

Degree : 4th Year Undergrad, UofT (will graduate in Jun 2019)

EC: Research projects, paid summer research position, regular running/exercising, co-president/initiator of a running club, clinical shadowing, director of a club, diverse volunteering positions (teacher in rural areas, at local food bank & long-term care center, etc.), mentorship, immigration experience

Interview: UofC was my second interview so I was definitely less anxious. The interview process itself was a bit long (my mouth was so dry during the last station I thought I was going to lose my voice lol), but other than that I enjoyed the experience! Most of the interviewers were nice and warm, and it felt like they genuinely want to learn about me. I prepared for the interview by talking to myself and to my pencil bag (lol), writing down my answers and re-read them, and doing a mock MMI with my friends. Do whatever you could to make yourself feel more confident and prepared!

I will decline the offer for UofT, so best of luck for everyone who's on waitlist!!

Result: Accepted

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.95+ (calculated by UCAN)

MCAT: 520+ (130+ CARS)

Degree : UG

EC: Very well-rounded, PM if curious

Interview: First interview, but I really loved their interview style. Got a very good feeling from the school overall and would've been happy to attend

Will be declining

Really excited to be posting this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted to U of A but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Result: Waitlisted

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.96 for U of C

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

If I get off of the waitlist, I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted somewhere, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

EDIT: Accepted off of the waitlist June 7th, declined for U of A

Edited by PTturnsMD

Timestamp: 2:53 pm PST

Accepted off of waitlist 

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 511 (129/128/128/126)

Year: BSc from 2017 

EC: I worked in a restaurant, taught educational nature classes, and researched/presented in front of doctors to promote nature as a prescribing tool. I volunteered at many different organizations culminating in around 1000 hours, most roles were assisting a demographic and supporting them however I could. LGBTQ+ Member and activist. In high school, I was part of a city junior council. 

will be declining! Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist

Timestamp: June 3rd 10:35am 

Accepted of Waitlist

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 512 (125 CARS)

Declined offer in favour of UofA. 

Posting just for stats since I have a very low CARS score. I want to let people know that it is possible to get into Calgary with a low score! Keep trying folks! 

Good luck waitlisters! 

Timestamp: June 10, 4:11pm

Accepted off waitlist!

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 518 (132 CARS)

Accepted!!!!!! So happy!!!!!!!!!! Having a scotch to celebrate and then so much stuff to do over the next few weeks!!!!

Timestamp: June 12th 12:45 PM

Accepted off Waitlist

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 517 (127 CARS)

Year: 4th Year BSc

I have accepted my offer! This was my second time applying and I am so beyond excited to have gotten in! To those of you who interviewed but did not get in this time around, keep trying and know that it is possible to improve significantly on the interview. I scored below the 20th percentile on my interview last year but prepared extensively for this year's interview and felt much better about it this time around. Feel free to PM me for interview prep resources/suggestions. :)