Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected??

Guest happy2bme

Result: Accepted

Geography: In-province

cGPA: 3.93 after ten-year exclusion rule

MCAT: 519 (130/130/129/130)

EC: Non-traditional applicant, RN for 7 years, lots of clinical research and advocacy, worked exclusively with vulnerable populations.

MMI: didn't feel good about it. Some of the stations were unusual and I didn't feel I was able to express what I had to offer, even in the panels. Evidently, it was good enough.

First time applying to medical school. Accepted to both UofC and UofA. Will accept UofC because I really appreciated their transparency with the application process, as well their stated values. Plus, I already live here and it's shorter! 

Result: Accepted

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 510 (125/127/128/130)  

Degree: Bachelor and Masters of Nursing

E.C: Non-traditional applicant.  No undergraduate science. Unique work experience through nursing (end of life care, vulnerable populations). Dance competition/teaching/performance. 

Interview: I really enjoyed my U of C interview and felt like it went quite well. I found the non-traditional-ness helped me get out of my head and relax. This is my first time applying and I was lucky enough to be offered at U of C and U of A. I've decided to go with U of C. Looking forward to meeting classmates in July and hope my acceptance is a small vote of confidence for non-science applicants!

Result: Accepted!!

Geography :IP 

GPA: 3.51

MCAT: 509, CARS: 129

Degree : BSc

E.C: Diverse & some non-traditional. Long term volunteering, research project, lots of work experience.

Interview : I felt it went really well, I would even go so far to say it was enjoyable. A few of the MMI stations touched on things that I've spent a lot of time discussing in my degree so I think that worked to my advantage.

This was my first application cycle and U of C was my only interview, so I am just over the moon. I've been told before that I should not even bother applying to medical school with my "low" GPA. To anyone who doesn't have a 4.0 and feels they don't have a shot - don't give up!! 

• 1 month later...

Result: Accepted off Waitlist!!

Time Stamp: 4:31pm

Geography: IP 

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 511 (130/124/130/127)

Degree: BSc in Cellular, Molecular, and Microbial Biology, Currently working on MSc.

E.C: Long-term employment, volunteering, research project, publications. Lots of community work, essentially did what I loved and didn't tailor my EC to fit in med school applications. 

Interview: I felt it didn't go too well. Had some terrible stations and some great ones. Enjoyed the panel more. Overall, I enjoyed U of C's MMI day a lot, it was a fun experience. 

Second time interviewing. Still surprised I got an offer despite my low CARS! Will be deferring my offer to complete my MSc. under the LIM program, so at least one spot will be available to someone on the waitlist. For those who were unsuccessful, keep applying, don't give up!!! Find something else to work on to keep yourself busy and to explore new opportunities while you wait for med. 

So excited and grateful. Can't wait to start medicine in a few years!! 

Result: ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST!!!

Time Stamp: 4:32pm

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 512, CARS 128

Degree: General Bachelor of Science, major in biology and minor in chemistry. Graduated last year and have just been working this year. 

ECs: Above average from last years rejection stats. Firefighting, volunteering on a sailboat, working with youth at my church, chemistry research, laboratory assistant at a bee diagnostic centre, etc. 

Interview: I felt like I crushed it compared to last year. Last year I got rattled after the first station and ended up getting 12th percentile. This year, I stayed happy and positive the whole interview. My answers didn't always have the greatest depth, but I tried to implement some humour into them and keep them upbeat. Moral of the story.. there's hope for you people who bombed your interview this time round! Keep practicing, and try to find people that can give you honest feedback. 

After getting rejected from UofA twice and UofC once, getting off the waitlist today has me truly humbled. I've been praying for this moment for the last 5 years and it's finally arrived. It's safe to say I'll be accepting my offer (sorry other waitlisters). I've never cried so many happy tears in my entire life! Goodbye bone-crushing disappointment, and hello Calgary!

Result: Accepted off the waitlist!!!!

Time stamp: 4:31pm

GPA: 3.85

Degree: BSc

MCAT: 510, CARS 125 

ECs: Long and diverse. Things I loved and pursued opportunities that interested me. A variety of leadership and lots of work with people of diverse backgrounds. Some research (thesis; other research that interested me that was completely different from what my background was in).

Interview: my first ever application and interview. I was myself the whole time and enjoyed it as much as I could. My advice, have fun and be you. I’m a quiet person so I owned that rather than pretending to be something else. I practiced answering in the amount of time, but honestly, accept that you might fail a question but be true to it. Sometimes I said that I had difficulty coming up with answer because it’s a tough question and I think it helped me relate to the situation. 

I thought I had no hope honestly. I was shocked to get an interview in the first place. Believe in yourself but be humble, most everyone you interview with would make a great physician. I think understanding that puts your mind at ease a lot. And my biggest advice, follow your dream! Calgary has always been my dream program and I’m elated to have this opportunity. Congrats to all those accepted and soon to be accepted, I’m excited to meet you all and start this journey!!

Result: Accepted off waitlist

Timestamp: 6:31PM EST

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.85 (3.97 with lowest year removed)

Degree: BSc finished, MSc almost finished

MCAT: 524 (132/129/132/131)

ECs: Pretty standard, nothing too crazy. I volunteered as a high school tutor for several years at several different organizations, was an executive in a few clubs and student governments, played a variety of intramural sports, played and wrote music, and held a part-time job as a cook.

Interview: Felt OK about the MMI portion (one bad station, a few good stations, most stations were pretty ambiguous). Felt really good about the panel portion; I really thought I was able to portray my personality and I felt that I was able to talk in-depth about my extracurricular and personal experiences.

I'll probably be turning down this offer and enrolling in McMaster, so helpfully one of you guys will get my spot!

Result: Accepted off waitlist

Timestamp: 4:31 PM Mountain Time

GPA: 3.81 (3.92 with lowest year removed)

Degree: BSc in Psychology

MCAT: 516 (129/128/128/131)

ECs: Nothing too spectacular. Had a few "generic" activities (ex. hospital, stroke rehab, senior center, etc.) listed on there but also a fair number of personal/family experiences. I tried my best to really emphasize what these experiences taught me rather than describe my roles/duties. 

Interview: I felt great about the panels and good for around 4 of my MMI stations. There were honestly three where I felt like I completely dropped the ball though, so I guess it doesn't really matter how you feel post-interview. 

I have already accepted this offer. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! 

• 11 months later...

Result: Accepted!!!!

Geography: IP (3rd Year Undergrad)

GPA: 4.00 

MCAT: 130 CARS

Degree: General Sciences

E.C: Above average. Nothing crazy. 

Interview: Everything I prepped for was not really helpful for Calgary. I walked away thinking I nailed it. Calgary's interview style was very relaxed and fun!

Best of Luck to Everyone!  

Result: Accepted!!!!

GPA: 3.96 undergrad, 3.8ish for grad studies

MCAT: 521 (131 CARS)  

Degree: Bachelor and Masters in Biochemistry

E.C: Not amazing (not good enough for Western or Ottawa or UBC), lots of research, decent amount of volunteering, couple trips, arts, sports, etc.

Interview: Really enjoyed the Calgary vibe and thought it went really well. Prepped pretty intensely though.

Geography: OOP 4th year Undergrad

GPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 520+

Degree: UofT Sci

E.C: Well rounded, I’d say

Interview: Very based around personal characteristics. I found I was able to just talk what I felt. Had no need for prep and found that this was very conversational!

Will likely decline for ontario schools, for any interested waitlisters!

I can't believe I'm actually posting this!!!

Time Stamp: 4:43 PM (Eastern Time)

Result: Accepted!!!! :D 

GPA: 3.90 (as per UofC, last year of my second undergrad)

MCAT: 509 (129 CARS)  

Degree: Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Arts in Communications/Journalism (from Brazil, graduated in 2009)

E.C: hospital and hospice volunteering, research, clinical experience as a nursing student, shadowing docs in the ICU, leadership as a student advocate.

Interview: Prepared thoroughly with a coach, as this was my first interview and I didn't know what to expect. Really loved the experience, even though the lead up was stressful. Met great people, got opportunities to talk about my background and my reasons to become a doctor. I felt like my values really jammed well with UofC's, so I'm so happy to learn that they felt the same way! 

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted today! I have already accepted my offer, so hope to see some of you on July 3rd! :) 

For those who don't make it this turn, don't give up! This is my second time applying, I'm a mature, non-traditional applicant, also an immigrant, and wrote the MCAT twice. Just keep pushing! You already gained so much experience this cycle, no matter what! It will happen for you too!! :) 

Time Stamp: 

Result: Accepted!!!! :D 

GPA: 3.55 

MCAT: 509 (128 CARS)  

Degree: Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Science, Master of Nursing

E.C: Was (Am i guess but will be giving notice) an NP, lots of health care experience projects etc.  Interestingly only scored a 103 last couple years (not even interview last year)

Interview: Thought I did average.  Messed up more than a few stations.  Interestingly I interviewed 2 years ago and was 8th percentile!!!!

Never thought this would happen given my abysmal GPA.  

I cannot believe this is real! Still in shock!! Longtime lurker here haha... I've never posted, but I figure today is the day!

Time Stamp: 2:24 PM (MT)

Result: Accepted!!!! :D 

GPA: 3.91 (as calculated by UCAN)

MCAT: 505 (126 CARS)  - Yes, it's very possible to get in with a low MCAT!!

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Biology, minor in Chemistry (2013); MSc in Pathology & Laboratory Medicine (2017)

E.C: Long-term, but not overly diverse IMO. Competitive soccer player; varsity at an NCAA Div 1 school in the US for 4 years, team captain for final 2 years; Mission Trip with my soccer team, plus other volunteer work in our local community. LOTS of research; completed a thesis-based MSc and currently work as a clinical research assistant; quite a few research presentations (oral and poster, national and international conferences) and awards. I'm also fortunate to have 4 publications.

Interview: Third interview at Calgary. Overall, felt it was my best one yet and I guess I was right!! Unlike previous years, I didn't think I bombed any of the MMI stations coming out of it. The panels were alright, though one felt slightly awkward... I had trouble connecting with the questions and interviewers. Definitely spent the last 2 months overanalyzing everything I said in that panel and was positive that a rejection was coming because of it. 

I felt very welcomed by the other interviewees and current med students at interview day! I definitely got a good sense of the tight-knit community vibe. As a more mature applicant, it was so nice to feel so welcomed by everyone at Calgary :)

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted today! I will be awaiting the UAlberta results before deciding, but there is a good chance Calgary will be my choice!

Result: Accepted!!

cGPA: 3.89

MCAT: 511 (130 CARS)

Degree: MSc

EC: Research, volunteering, clinically-oriented employment, creative projects, advocacy

MMI: Prepped for a long time.  Really liked the variety/amount of opportunities Calgary gave to showcase who you are but was very tired by the end. Thought I bombed at least 2 stations and felt pretty awful afterwards. Tried to be as honest as possible.

Sooo surprised but grateful! Calgary gave a great first impression. Friendly students and staff, positive atmosphere, and I appreciated how transparent the Admissions Director was about the whole process. Hope I will see some of you next year and best of luck to everyone on this journey! :)

Result: Waitlisted, declined for UofA

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 515 (130/128/130/127)  

Degree: BSc, currently doing MSc

E.C: Solid research, presentations at international and local conferences, my experience with women rights and stuff living in the Middle East, personal hardships, a lot of initiatives I spearheaded that are geared towards Syrian refugees or homeless populations, other personal hobbies. 

Interview: Take everything with a grain of salt because this was my first ever interview. I prepped for a month (didn't expect an interview) but absolutely nothing I prepared was useful on interview day. I personally hated Calgary's interview for that reason because I felt like I had no control over how any station went. Also, I didn't finish a single station on time and was running out of every station and two stations in I gave up using the notepad and I just "winged" it. It was such a long tiring day and I thought the interview was so hard. I remember holding back tears at the end when Dr. Walker was talking to us LOL, so I'm ecstatic to have been waitlisted because I honestly expected a rejection. The good thing about Calgary was that the interview is really good at seeing you for the person you really are and I guess winging it *kinda* worked out for me.  

Result: Waitlisted - EDIT: Accepted off waitlist June 10, 1:52pm

GPA: 3.78

MCAT: 517 (127/131/130/129)  

E.C: Couple years of research, with funding , played sports, part of a first aid team, part-time job throughout school, and 2 different hospital volunteer positions..nothing that really stands out, I think 

Interview: Really enjoyed the interview process. I know a lot of people didn't like it because you couldn't really prepare, but that was a big relief to me, as I felt like I could just be myself and have fun with it a bit more. Definitely stumbled on a couple stations, but others I thought went okay? Honestly could've been 50/50 by the end of it.

EDIT: Will be rejecting my waitlist offer in favour of U of A. For those of you still on the waitlist - hang in there! 

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 521 (129/130/130/132)  

E.C: Summer research, a couple longish term volunteer experiences involving teaching, was part of a marching band for a long time and Ireally dove into personal experiences that I felt were significant in my life because honestly my ECs are my biggest flaw. 

Interview: First interview ever so I had no idea what to expect but I left it feeling okay. Felt like it was a lot different than other interviews I had later and it allowed me to be myself which was what I tried to really let shine through. I tried to have fun with it and it was a good time. Messed up a couple MMIs in my opinion but who doesnt right?

Congrats to those that were accepted! Not a fan of the uncertainty of being on the waitlist but its definitely better than a rejection :)

Result: waitlisted 

IP

GPA: 4.0

CARS: 126

Bachelors of Nursing - Dec 2016

EC: Nursing at the Children’s hospital for 2.5 years, clinical work prior to that and throughout my degree, two publications (one independent and one collaborative with my undergrad), a couple longer term volunteer experiences. 

Top 10: Nursing experience, interpersonal work, personal struggles I’ve overcome, and some volunteering. 

Interview:  I felt really good about a couple questions, really bad about others. I found it incredibly hard to get an overall feel of how I did. 

First time applying to medical school and I only applied to UofC this year.

GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 515 (130/128/128/129)  

Degree: MSc (final year)

E.C: President of two clubs, 3 years hospital volunteering, 3 years research (co-op & summers), musician for 10+ years

Interview: First time interviewing at Calgary and I had a great time! Everyone was friendly and eager to listen to you and I felt great throughout the MMI and panel! Will decline if I get accepted to Ontario schools as I prefer studying close to home

Result: Accepted!!

Geography: OOP

cGPA: 93% (adjusted)

MCAT: 520

Degree: BA 

EC: Research 3+ years with department head, volunteering at various homeless shelters/church youth group leader/big brother etc, employment for the past few years after graduating,, advocacy for single parent financial support (mainly for low-income housing).

MMI: I took one of those MMI prep programs. EXTREMELY expensive, but paid off IMO. This is my 3rd time doing MMI. Did very very poorly for my first 2 times but the course paid off.

Will be waiting for the rest of the schools to release results - if accepted, I will be choosing the other schools as the 3rd condensed program seems stressful (at least for me). PLEASE NOTE, Dr. Ian Flemming seems like an awesome person. I can tell how passionate he is about his job. Out of all the other schools I applied to, he gave me the impression that he's the most caring. Extremely impressed with how much time and effort him/his team spent interviewing us - very grateful !!

19 hours ago, i8aSS said:

Result: Accepted!!

Geography: OOP

cGPA: 93% (adjusted)

MCAT: 520

Degree: BA 

EC: Research 3+ years with department head, volunteering at various homeless shelters/church youth group leader/big brother etc, employment for the past few years after graduating,, advocacy for single parent financial support (mainly for low-income housing).

MMI: I took one of those MMI prep programs. EXTREMELY expensive, but paid off IMO. This is my 3rd time doing MMI. Did very very poorly for my first 2 times but the course paid off.

Will be waiting for the rest of the schools to release results - if accepted, I will be choosing the other schools as the 3rd condensed program seems stressful (at least for me). PLEASE NOTE, Dr. Ian Flemming seems like an awesome person. I can tell how passionate he is about his job. Out of all the other schools I applied to, he gave me the impression that he's the most caring. Extremely impressed with how much time and effort him/his team spent interviewing us - very grateful !!

*Dr. Ian Walker, just ftr. Congrats!

On 5/11/2019 at 2:18 AM, i8aSS said:

Dr. Ian Flemming seems like an awesome person. I can tell how passionate he is about his job. Out of all the other schools I applied to, he gave me the impression that he's the most caring. Extremely impressed with how much time and effort him/his team spent interviewing us - very grateful !!

I suspect you like James Bond and James Bond novels ;)