Premed 101 Forums

lab titles?

How are these different from each other?

a) Research student (4th yr course)-independent project

b) Research student (summer program)- could have an independent project or a paired one with a grad student

c) Research student volunteer / lab volunteer === mostly paired with a senior member of the lab, helping out with experiments; learning techniques etc

I think they are all the same in terms of learning and practical experience (?) 

In my experience 1) and 2) are comparable, in which there's a specific research question your project is trying to address. 3) can be similar to 1) and 2), but isn't necessarily the same; you aren't usually working on a directed project that that you have a level of ownership over, and can be functioning in more of a lab assistant role/pair of hands.

I think a) and b) can be similar, but most often the independent project courses are seen as a greater level of commitment and are viewed as more valuable when we assess resumes. If the position isn't course-based, the most important thing, aside from learning how much you personally enjoy research, is having something tangible to take away from the experience, whether it be a publication, a poster, a presentation, or even just a new skill to demonstrate you made a real contribution and effort.