Premed 101 Forums

18 minutes ago, HopefulUndergrad said:

Just give me some advice please im kind of losing hope since everyone around me has such high GPA's

Hey hopeful, 

while it is harder, it is possible. I had similar stats and squeezed in off the wait list. You definitely have to have solid extracurriculars. But just remember you can build this with time and effort. Took me 3 x before I got in. But it helped me figure out why I wanted to do this. Speaking as a current student. It’s a hard road, but definitely one well worth the work.

best of luck,

path 

18 hours ago, Thepathlesstaken said:

Hey hopeful, 

while it is harder, it is possible. I had similar stats and squeezed in off the wait list. You definitely have to have solid extracurriculars. But just remember you can build this with time and effort. Took me 3 x before I got in. But it helped me figure out why I wanted to do this. Speaking as a current student. It’s a hard road, but definitely one well worth the work.

best of luck,

path 

Hey thanks for the advice! If you dont mind me asking what were your stats(Higher MCAT or Higher GPA)? and do you think I should write the MCAT again?

1 hour ago, Ervin said:

MCAT is only 10% of your application: I got an interview with a 503 (123 CARS) last year but I scored in the 90th percentile on most of the TOP 10 sections. 

No way thats awesome what was your GPA? Also do you mind if I message you directly and ask about what kind of EC's you have? If you arent ok with it its fine I understand! 

6 minutes ago, HopefulUndergrad said:

No way thats awesome what was your GPA? Also do you mind if I message you directly and ask about what kind of EC's you have? If you arent ok with it its fine I understand! 

My GPA is 4.0 so that probably helped my case a bit too, but the EC's definitely played a big part in getting me the interview. And of course, you're welcome to PM me any time.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:10 PM, Thepathlesstaken said:

Hey hopeful, 

best of luck,

path 

If you don't mind me asking, I imagine your other application attempts were after undergrad. Did you do a Master's in the meantime or just work?

I was accepted into Calgary with a 3.72 and 129 Cars. My ECs are very diverse as I have been teaching at a college, I have had a variety of jobs, Uni student club president that lead medical Brigades for 2 years, I am finishing an Ma right now, Rotarian, I am a parent and put some other personal stuff. I imagine if you can get an interview your grades and MCAT become less influential than you may think. The interview ends up being worth 50% and then grades 10% and MCAT 5% for the final score. 

I would say you should follow your passions, be involved in areas of advocacy you are passionate about and try to expose yourself to as many experiences as you can. Be open minded and authentic. 

Good luck!