Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone, 

I've noticed a few others that seems to be in a similar dilemma and asking for any helpful insight in choosing between the 2 programs so I thought it might be easier to make it its own new thread! I'm also really torn as well, I've lived in both cities and loved each for different reasons so any insights people may have on their own experiences (good and bad) on either program would be much appreciated. 

I know one thing that impressed me about UBC was that they interviewed using the MMI format and continue to test you throughout the program using this format as it is how you are tested in the OSCE, does anyone know if U of T incorporates this into preparing you for the PCE? 

Any info helps! Other questions would also include student-life factors as well - how are the facilities, how are the campus gyms, graduate housing etc 

Thanks in advance and congrats to everyone on having made it through the admissions cycle :)

Perfect yes thank you! Id love to hear how the curriculums differ as well! Ik Toronto has it in blocks so it makes exams easier but its passive learning where as BC doesn't seem to follow blocks for Cardio, MSK, neuro etc. so Im wondering if one is preferred over the other?

Also does anyone know if BC has a lottery system for placements? Ik that Toronto does.

My understanding of U of T's revised curriculum is that beginning with our year, it is no longer in blocks (MSK then cardioresp then neuro) either and more of an integrated approach to teaching. 

Also when I spoke to the MPT students at UBC after the MMI they said for placements you basically send in a list of 5 or so that you've ranked and someone tries their best to give you somewhere within that list. - Do you know if the U of T lottery system is based on a list you create or just literally randomly anywhere? 

1 hour ago, gem1n1PT said:

My understanding of U of T's revised curriculum is that beginning with our year, it is no longer in blocks (MSK then cardioresp then neuro) either and more of an integrated approach to teaching. 

Also when I spoke to the MPT students at UBC after the MMI they said for placements you basically send in a list of 5 or so that you've ranked and someone tries their best to give you somewhere within that list. - Do you know if the U of T lottery system is based on a list you create or just literally randomly anywhere? 

Speaking to a MScPT student from last year (while on tour after the CAP), they said you send in a list of ten. Then they do the same trying to place you within your ten.

3 hours ago, gem1n1PT said:

So do you think UBC's and U of T's curriculum will be similar? no blocks separating the topics more just learning and reviewing everything as you go?

Also for those applying out of province, I have been curious regarding if I have to take additional testing if I wished to keep practicing in ON after getting licensed in BC. (I know some controlled acts differ in provinces f.ex. in Alberta PT's can request diagnostic imaging where as in ON we can't ..)

3 hours ago, AriaFuturePT said:

So do you think UBC's and U of T's curriculum will be similar? no blocks separating the topics more just learning and reviewing everything as you go?

Also for those applying out of province, I have been curious regarding if I have to take additional testing if I wished to keep practicing in ON after getting licensed in BC. (I know some controlled acts differ in provinces f.ex. in Alberta PT's can request diagnostic imaging where as in ON we can't ..)

I believe in Canada everyone writes the written and practical exams put on by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy. Once you're a registered PT you need to gain membership from the provincial college for which you are practicing in, however I believe this just consists of fees and regulations and no "additional" testing. This is just what I have gather from peers/instructors as I am currently an out of province PT student as well

1 hour ago, HK2018 said:

I believe in Canada everyone writes the written and practical exams put on by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy. Once you're a registered PT you need to gain membership from the provincial college for which you are practicing in, however I believe this just consists of fees and regulations and no "additional" testing. This is just what I have gather from peers/instructors as I am currently an out of province PT student as well

Perfect! Thank you so much :)

People torn between UBC and UofT, which school are you leaning more towards and why?

I got waitlisted for UBC and got into UofT PT but I’m not sure whether I should keep waiting for the UBC waitlist or to just firmly accept UofT. Is there a way to accept my UofT offer and then to withdraw it later if I manage to get off the UBC waitlist? 

1 hour ago, Probablypt said:

People torn between UBC and UofT, which school are you leaning more towards and why?

I got waitlisted for UBC and got into UofT PT but I’m not sure whether I should keep waiting for the UBC waitlist or to just firmly accept UofT. Is there a way to accept my UofT offer and then to withdraw it later if I manage to get off the UBC waitlist? 

I think you can just withdraw your offer through the ORPAS portal? 
https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/cancel-my-acceptance/