Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ysera

Bursary Email / Schulich Scholarship

Hello,

This morning I received an email informing me that I've been granted a small bursary. While I am grateful, I also applied for the Schulich Scholarship, and my combined family income is quite low (< $50K). 

Does the receipt of this email mean that I'm no longer being considered for the Schulich Scholarship? Or is it the case that they can make a determination on the Schulich Scholarship at a later date and withdraw the Bursary offer?

Thank you 

1 hour ago, b.pierce said:

Does anyone know when you find out if you will be receiving financial aid or not?

I received the admission bursary email yesterday, like ysera, with similar family income. 

2 hours ago, b.pierce said:

Does anyone know when you find out if you will be receiving financial aid or not?

If you're interested in more info you can call the office of the registrar - they are in charge of schulich scholarships and also a good portion of other available admissions bursaries. At least that's what they told me when I called the schulich admissions office.

1 hour ago, allmight said:

I received the admission bursary email yesterday, like ysera, with similar family income. 

Can confirm, received a bursary with a decent amount - and they told me via phone that it has no bearing on other scholarship applications.

14 hours ago, krwn said:

Can confirm, received a bursary with a decent amount - and they told me via phone that it has no bearing on other scholarship applications.

What was your bursary amount, if you don't mind me asking? over / under $5K?

4 hours ago, ysera said:

What was your bursary amount, if you don't mind me asking? over / under $5K?

Under 5k, my parents make a decent amount so I didn't expect anything at all, but I'm technically an independent. They gave me in the 3-4k range.

7 hours ago, krwn said:

Under 5k, my parents make a decent amount so I didn't expect anything at all, but I'm technically an independent. They gave me in the 3-4k range.

That's funny because I got in the 2K range and like I said in the original post my parents make not much at all. I probably messed up one of the forms haha. Hopefully I get the Schulich Scholarship. 

4 hours ago, ysera said:

That's funny because I got in the 2K range and like I said in the original post my parents make not much at all. I probably messed up one of the forms haha. Hopefully I get the Schulich Scholarship. 

I received 2k range as well with similar parental income to you. Interesting stuff

1 minute ago, allmight said:

I received 2k range as well with similar parental income to you. Interesting stuff

Maybe they're giving us less bursary because we're getting the scholarship (fingers crossed). Probably wishful thinking though 

1 minute ago, ysera said:

Maybe they're giving us less bursary because we're getting the scholarship (fingers crossed). Probably wishful thinking though 

A nice thought, but if they said the processes are independent, I wonder. We can hope anyways though :) 

6 hours ago, ysera said:

I also declared as an independent but (6 years out of high school) but I declared my parent's income regardless. That might be the reasoning?

2 hours ago, krwn said:

I also declared as an independent but (6 years out of high school) but I declared my parent's income regardless. That might be the reasoning?

I am 6 years out of high school, and independent (don't live at home) as well so I don't think that's it. 

46 minutes ago, allmight said:

I am 6 years out of high school, and independent (don't live at home) as well so I don't think that's it. 

Were you employed when you applied? I was employed and I think I reported my monthly income and back account balance. That might be it.

Any way I'm too excited about being admitted to care about a few grand in bursaries lol. Gonna wait and see what happens with the Schulich Scholarship.

18 hours ago, ysera said:

Were you employed when you applied? I was employed and I think I reported my monthly income and back account balance. That might be it.

Any way I'm too excited about being admitted to care about a few grand in bursaries lol. Gonna wait and see what happens with the Schulich Scholarship.

Same! Best to you, I will say I did get on the lower end of the 3k mark but I guess they have their own method of calculation. Best to you with the Schulich Scholarship as well!

6 hours ago, orthoooo said:

Do you guys see the bursary amount on your statement of account yet?

No, I was planning on calling them to ask. The email said the amount would be deducted automatically but my tuition bill is still 25k plus the 1k deposit I already paid...

2 hours ago, ysera said:

No, I was planning on calling them to ask. The email said the amount would be deducted automatically but my tuition bill is still 25k plus the 1k deposit I already paid...

Lol yeah I was wondering the same thing