Premed 101 Forums

1 hour ago, hopingforOT said:

There's been many posts warning against choosing U of T for OT. Has anyone had a positive experience at the St. George campus? I need to make a decision between U of A and U of T soon, and am feeling conflicted. 

I just spoke to a graduating student this year, she really enjoyed the program and her placements.

1 hour ago, hopingforOT said:

There's been many posts warning against choosing U of T for OT. Has anyone had a positive experience at the St. George campus? I need to make a decision between U of A and U of T soon, and am feeling conflicted. 

Hey. I'm not in OT, but just want to say take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt because the reality is we represent a small portion of the class.

Those posts about U of T OT were made by 3 accounts that were all created within the last 3 days (or literally hours), so I'd say just be careful with what you trust. The statements may or may not be true! I used this forum for a couple years when applying to PT schools and didn't see these posts about U of T OT in the past.

One of the posts I read suggested to head over to one of the UofT class of OT Facebook groups. It may be good to look there to get insight from a greater sample of people.

I go to Mac but I do know someone who knows someone at UofT OT... I remember them saying that the program was okay. Some of their concerns sounded similar to the concerns I have for my own program.

Good luck with your decision my fellow future OT!

The one positive I can think of for UofT OT is that being in Toronto, the fieldwork catchment area is nice but you're forced to do a LEAP placement (non-traditional placement) which isn't so great. Labs had good intention but were ultimately a brief overview and not something you can take away concrete hands-on skills from. 

As for the post about not seeing UofT OT posts in the past, a majority of my complaints are about recent changes made to the fieldwork component/UTM expansion. My  statements are true, however they may not reflect how everyone in the program feels. It's important to consider both positives and negatives when deciding how you want to spend the next 2 years/$30k.