Premed 101 Forums

OT Job Prospects?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted an honest answer on the job prospects for OT if anyone knows. And if there is anyone who has recently been hired after graduation? I have been hearing that the job prospects aren't too great. I spoke to an OT last year who told me it'll be alot of contract temporary work at first, and another who told me she worked in retail for a year after graduation. I was also told that they don't work much in hospitals anymore the way they used to (which would be my ideal setting) and most are employed by insurance companies for motor vehicle accidents which is where all the jobs are. Of course money isn't everything, but I do want to ensure that all the money I would be putting into tuition will be worth it and ill be able to secure a job. 

It would be great to work as a pediatric OT or in a hospital setting, these two would be the ideal for me. However, I know I can't be too picky. I just want an honest answer from someone who has had the experience and can tell me about the job prospects/ if it is true that majority of the jobs are in MV accidents. I also don't see as many OT services as I do PT...

If you do a quick indeed search you’ll see it is a lot of contract and part time work, and most of it is in private practice (MVA). Most full time jobs require 2-3 years of experience, especially ones at hospitals. You can’t really be picky at all as a new grad. A lot of the grads from last year are working multiple jobs or non-clinical roles. This is at least the case in Toronto.

Is it reasonable to expect one of the full time positions in a hospital setting after working for a while after graduation? Say if you work for two years in contract positions and gain some experience as well.

Also what about volunteering while in OT school to gain experience so that upon graduation there's at least something on the resume. Would that count as experience?

Can you clarify what you mean by non clinical roles?

1 hour ago, chubbybunnyx said:

If you do a quick indeed search you’ll see it is a lot of contract and part time work, and most of it is in private practice (MVA). Most full time jobs require 2-3 years of experience, especially ones at hospitals. You can’t really be picky at all as a new grad. A lot of the grads from last year are working multiple jobs or non-clinical roles. This is at least the case in Toronto.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 12:20 AM, OT1996 said:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted an honest answer on the job prospects for OT if anyone knows. And if there is anyone who has recently been hired after graduation? About 1/4 to 1/3 of my class had jobs lined up before graduation. I have been hearing that the job prospects aren't too great. I spoke to an OT last year who told me it'll be alot of contract temporary work at first, and another who told me she worked in retail for a year after graduation. Contract work is common. But it's how you get your foot in the door, especially at hospitals. It's not necessarily a huge negative, depending on your lift situation. I was also told that they don't work much in hospitals anymore the way they used to (which would be my ideal setting) I would strongly disagree with this. Or at least to the extent that it's OT specific. There is a huge shit towards getting people out of the hospital and back home ASAP. Which means more jobs in the community. PT and other rehab professions would very much experience the same thing, if you are considering that. and most are employed by insurance companies for motor vehicle accidents which is where all the jobs are. For new grads? MVA-related jobs are common, as no one wants them. I would say community OT is more common. Of course money isn't everything, but I do want to ensure that all the money I would be putting into tuition will be worth it and ill be able to secure a job. You will absolutely be able to secure a job. The people I know you were unemployed for longer than most either had to stay in a very specific, small geographic area due to family, struggled with interviews, or were very set on working in one specific field (i.e. only early intervention and not school health for kids). 

It would be great to work as a pediatric OT or in a hospital setting, these two would be the ideal for me. However, I know I can't be too picky. I just want an honest answer from someone who has had the experience and can tell me about the job prospects/ if it is true that majority of the jobs are in MV accidents. I also don't see as many OT services as I do PT... I think in general the job markets are quite equal. Once you get some experience on your resume, and I mean any, like even 6 months at a horrible MVA job, the hospitals will start calling you back for interviews. I've seen 3 friends go through that. 

^Filled in my answers above. I'm located in the GTA and went to school at Dal.