Premed 101 Forums

Please help, should I rewrite the MCAT?

DrDD

Hi, first of all thank you for taking the effort to help me out :)

I am an UofT student entering my fourth year UG. I have a 4.0 cGPA and have some research, work and volunteer experience. I wrote my MCAT last summer (did not prepare as I had hoped to :() and my score was 509 (CARS -129, PsychSoc - 125, Bio -127, PhyChem -128). I am an Ontario resident and I hope to apply to all Ontario med schools, UBC. I would really really like to study at UofT or Mac. Do you think I must retake the MCAT?

Once again, thanks for your help!!!!

I would personally keep that score especially if Mac or U of T are your goal schools. You meet U of T's cutoffs and they only use the MCAT as a threshold so it doesn't matter, and that's a great CARS score for Mac. You also have a high GPA so as long as you do ok on CASPer I'm sure you'll get an interview there. Personal choice at the end of the day though! 

Thanks to everyone who replied. The reason I was a bit apprehensive about rewriting is because I wanted to use my time strengthening my ECs instead of studying for MCAT if my current mark would not pull me down. I think I might just apply this cycle with the current MCAT score and retry MCAT for next cycle if I am unsuccessful now. Also, thank you to those who suggested Calgary, I will look into that (I am new to Canada and hence, don't know much about schools outside Ontario). 

Thanks once again for setting aside your time to help me!!!!:)

On 5/26/2019 at 8:12 AM, duckduckgoose18 said:

The only Ontario school you're out of the running for is UWO (not sure about Queen's). W/ that GPA and CARS, you're looking pretty good for the rest. 

This is not true. OP is fine with a 129 in CARS for every school in Ontario. UWO no longer requires a 129 in CARS as they have lowered cut-offs and added an aABS section. Cut-off for this year was 128 CARS, 126 C/P, 126 B/B

OP, you also have above average stats for Mac with a cGPA of 4.0. Entering stats are around 3.85 and 129 CARS. 

You will not benefit from a higher MCAT score for UofT (Cut-off based), Western (Cut-off based), Queens (Cut-off based) or Ottawa (no MCAT required), Dal (Cut-off based), UBC (Cut-off based pre-interview). You are above Calgary's CARS cut-off of 128 and your MCAT makes up only 10% of your application, the rest is your GPA and EC's. 

Again, a higher MCAT will not help you at all in any of the above mentioned schools. Also, chances of you scoring below 129 in CARS on your retake are very high. A 130 in C/P, B/B, and P/S but a 127 in CARS would hurt you way more than your current score.

The ONLY schools that a higher MCAT will help with are possibly U of A as no one knows how they select applicants anymore, and Manitoba and Saskatchewan which require at least a 518+ to even get an interview.

I would not re-take the MCAT at all if I were in your situation.