Premed 101 Forums

deleted

2 hours ago, rick546 said:

Hi everyone, so I've been thinking more and more lately about applying to American MD/DO schools as a option to fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor. My MCAT score is not so great (1st try - 504, 2nd try - 506 and 3rd try 509) and since I did so many retakes most US schools would not look favorably on this. My cumulative GPA is about a 3.7 via conversion and sGPA of 3.85 (not sure if I converted correctly). 

ECs: 300+ hours volunteering in ER department, 200+ hours working with Diabetes Canada as an advocate, possibly getting my name published in a reputable science magazine as a co-author, 100+ hours as a Treasurer/executive at a university club, gold medalist in tournaments, can solve Rubik's cube blindfolded etc.

I don't think my chances for MD are that great based on my low MCAT but I feel that I have a great chance at DO schools. I've looked through this thread before but it seems that I need to get the MSAR to get more stats for competitive applicants into these schools. Also looking at this thread shows that most of the Canadian friendly MD schools have an MCAT score above my range.

If I were to do this, I imagine I would have to start pretty soon because primaries have already started. I'm not too familiar with the US rolling admission cycle but for the primaries I only need to send my transcript to get verified by them correct?

I wouldn't say you have a great chacne at DO schools, but more like an okay/decent chance. Apply broadly and work on your essays in advance. If you are applying this cycle you should get a move on it, cause time is ticking. Dont bother with USMD