Premed 101 Forums

What courses should I take?

Hello peeps :) 

I am BSC Psych student entering my 3rd year in september. I just decided that I want to apply to med school and do my MCAT next summer. I have already taken the first year biology and chemistry courses. what courses should I take for next year?

thinking of doing: Biochemistry, cell biology, organic chemistry and some psyc courses

I am afraid these course will drop my GPA (specially orgo :( ) 

My enrolment is soon so any advice would be appreciated :) 

17 minutes ago, SONI said:

Hello peeps :) 

I am BSC Psych student entering my 3rd year in september. I just decided that I want to apply to med school and do my MCAT next summer. I have already taken the first year biology and chemistry courses. what courses should I take for next year?

thinking of doing: Biochemistry, cell biology, organic chemistry and some psyc courses

I am afraid these course will drop my GPA (specially orgo :( ) 

My enrolment is soon so any advice would be appreciated :) 

I'm also a psych student, in a similar boat. I opted to personally skip taking orgo and biochem mainly just because I don't want to risk bringing my GPA down. I wouldn't be able to fit them into my course schedule anyway if I want to graduate on time. Self studying/ possibly hiring a tutor/prep course is the way I'm planning to go about it although they are expensive and I'm really on the fence about it. I've been told  by quite a few people that the MCAT doesn't have a ton of orgo on it and biochem is way more important to focus on. Unless you are planning on applying to US MD schools or the few Canadian schools that have pre-reqs I don't think it's a must to take orgo/biochem.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:29 PM, VigoVirgo said:

I'm also a psych student, in a similar boat. I opted to personally skip taking orgo and biochem mainly just because I don't want to risk bringing my GPA down. I wouldn't be able to fit them into my course schedule anyway if I want to graduate on time. Self studying/ possibly hiring a tutor/prep course is the way I'm planning to go about it although they are expensive and I'm really on the fence about it. I've been told  by quite a few people that the MCAT doesn't have a ton of orgo on it and biochem is way more important to focus on. Unless you are planning on applying to US MD schools or the few Canadian schools that have pre-reqs I don't think it's a must to take orgo/biochem.

same!  I was thinking of taking biochem and doing orgo by using khan academy videos. Good luck!!

On 6/4/2019 at 1:49 PM, SONI said:

I would love to! would you like to make a group chat?

On 6/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, VigoVirgo said:

Sure I'd be happy to! Just let me know what the best way to get in touch with you guys is.

do you guys wanna start a whatsapp or facebook group, or even imessage if you guys have iphones?

I’m a current med student who graduated with a BSc in psych. I would ideally do orgo in the summer so it does not ruin your average if you get under 80 (that’s what I did). Biochem is more optional but helpful. Cell bio is unnecessary. Also I would recommend taking organic and/or biochem if you want to apply to Ottawa since they’re prerequisites- check the website as these have changed recently. 

16 hours ago, SONI said:

have you taken the courses before? or the MCAT?

? Look at my signature haha I just got accepted into med. Yes I have taken all those courses (2nd year courses) and scored extremely high on the MCAT. I recommend OCHEM + Biochem + Physics. Rest are pretty easy to self study. 

On 6/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, m_jacob_45 said:

I’m a current med student who graduated with a BSc in psych. I would ideally do orgo in the summer so it does not ruin your average if you get under 80 (that’s what I did). Biochem is more optional but helpful. Cell bio is unnecessary. Also I would recommend taking organic and/or biochem if you want to apply to Ottawa since they’re prerequisites- check the website as these have changed recently. 

So happy for you! Good luck with med school and yess I will probably take them in the summer. 

On 6/8/2019 at 12:58 AM, WeDayDream said:

? Look at my signature haha I just got accepted into med. Yes I have taken all those courses (2nd year courses) and scored extremely high on the MCAT. I recommend OCHEM + Biochem + Physics. Rest are pretty easy to self study. 

sorry lol im new to the forum I didn't see it :( but thank you I will definitely take the courses then!!

On 6/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, m_jacob_45 said:

what 4th year level psyc courses did you take or recommend? I’m kind of having a hard time finding any

12 hours ago, 2confused2live said:

what 4th year level psyc courses did you take or recommend? I’m kind of having a hard time finding any

I’m not sure what school you’re at, but at my school I only took 1.5 credits of 4th year courses. (My thesis course and I took a class about the brain, behaviour, and immune system).