Premed 101 Forums

UOFT - best 2 years

Hey guys, just wanted to get some feedback on the best 2 year requirement for UOFT.

UOFT website says:

*The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (b) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study.

Does it mean that if I am applying at the end of my 4th year and my worst year is my 1st year, only my 2nd and 3rd year will be used calculating my GPA?

Thanks.

Yes. This is also why when I applied (and my third year was my worst year) in my fourth year, I didn't get the worst year dropped as I didn't have a full four years of grades yet.

I believe it has something to do with primacy/recency and preventing people from slacking off toward the end of undergrad. If your GPA tanked in the most recently completed year (comparatively, mine did), they don't want to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

50 minutes ago, cleanup said:

Yes. This is also why when I applied (and my third year was my worst year) in my fourth year, I didn't get the worst year dropped as I didn't have a full four years of grades yet.

I believe it has something to do with primacy/recency and preventing people from slacking off toward the end of undergrad. If your GPA tanked in the most recently completed year (comparatively, mine did), they don't want to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

So does it mean that if you do not have 4 years completed by the time you apply (December)  you do not have your worst year dropped? sorry I am a little confused.

2 hours ago, brady23 said:

If you are applying in your 3rd year, no courses get dropped.

If you are applying in your 4th year, your worst 6 courses are dropped (any year). 

If you are applying after your 4th year, your worst 8 courses are dropped.

Any additional years (ex: you completed a 5th year), and your worst 10 courses are dropped. 

This only applies if you took 10 courses in every year of study. 

Wow!!! That would be awesome. But tbh I never heard of that before!?!?

Do you mind sharing where you got this info from?

On 6/7/2019 at 5:27 PM, toothteethtooth said:

I think if you're applying while you're in 4th year, nothing gets dropped and they look at first three years, but if you are applying after 4th year, then your lowest year gets dropped as long as it's not 4th year or 5th year depending on how many years you do. 

No, you can still have your worst year dropped if you are applying in 4th year, but not if that year is your 3rd year because then it's the most recently completed year.

4 hours ago, cleanup said:

No, you can still have your worst year dropped if you are applying in 4th year, but not if that year is your 3rd year because then it's the most recently completed year.

Thank you for you reply. That’s what I thought as well but I just wanted to hear what other ppl think as well. This is not well explained in the website and I was just wondering if I was on the only confused lol.

so, in my case (applying in my 4th year and having 1st year as my worst year), only my 2nd and 3rd year would be used when calculating my GPA? Thanks.