Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dumbgirl

Senior Year Thesis?

Hello,

I was wondering how important it is to do a thesis in my senior year of undergrad (my program doesn't require it for graduation). I have no research experience and I am going into my 4th year this fall. Would it be better for me to start looking for volunteer positions in labs and then do a small independent study rather than doing a thesis? I'm also very discouraged at this point to find a supervisor as it is fairly late in the year. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you!! :)

Don't do research if you're only pursuing it because you think you need to 'check a box off' on an imagined checklist of premed prerequisites. 

No research experience necessary to matriculate to Canadian medical schools.

Literally zero.

I did my research project mostly for the skills I would earn rather than to put on my application. Anyways any kind of research you do as part of a course can not be used to put on your OMSAS application. However if you continue working with the lab for the summer/want to do a master/get a future publication out of it then yes you could put it on your application...but that wouldn't be until next year. 

If you genuinely want to do research and learn a decent amount of skills out of it, do it. (and start emailing supervisors literally today)

If you don't care about the skills and research and just want good grades then don't do it. The project is a huge commitment .

Either way if you are hesitant email supervisors regardless. If one accepts you always have the option to change your mind.