Premed 101 Forums

I'm gonna steal Lvl3sonly's comment because it's well written. If you're going to go abroad make sure you do it knowing the upsides and downsides. In my opinion you should do everything you can to attend in Canada if possible. Also keep in mind that dentists in Canada are already starting to face a worsening job market based on what my friends attending dental school in Canada are telling me. 

"

Just dental school tuition alone is ~250k. Let's say you live extremely frugally and can live off 20k a year. That's another 80k which makes it 330k.
Don't forget you are accruing interest in the LOC for all of those 4 years which adds another ~25k and now you're looking at 355k of debt.
Average undergrad comes out with ~28k debt which makes the final total for a UBC grad.....383k. 

Let's say you went to any other school other than UBC and dental school is ~40k/yr. Then your total debt is ~286k

If you went to dental school in the states with tuition 100k/yr then your total debt is ~544k. And that's a VERY conservative estimate for some schools where you are living in high cost of living areas. 

Assuming you're going to be paying it off over 10 years, here are the monthly repayment amounts:

non UBC Canadian grad: $2855

UBC grad: $3823

International grad: $5430

That's still pretty manageable for the domestic grads. Sure, you won't be living a life of luxury, but still you're above average in terms of income compared to the general population even after taking into account the loan payments.

If you can make 150k as an associate, that's ~100k after tax, which leaves with with $4500-5500 a month to spend after paying your LOC. That's equivalent to a salary of 72k-90k

Once your debt is paid off when you're in your mid 30s then you have a lot more cash flow. Still, probably not gonna afford a detached house in places like Toronto or Van though.

For the international grad, after loan payments you're only left with $2900 a month which is equivalent to a 44k salary. Not a very satisfying income after 8 years of further education after HS. 

"

4 hours ago, Meridian said:

It is more about how you do in school and how you score on USMLE than the difference between StG & RCSI.    If you go that route plan to practice in the USA.   Consider  US MD or DO  before going offshore.  

How did you do in 4th year ?  Do you have a GPA you can work with if you do the 5th year you were considering ?