Premed 101 Forums

Mechanical Engineer rewriting MCAT am I being realistic?

ballsortahard

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on if my plan for a re-write is realistic. I wrote my MCAT last summer after graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering, and then studying full time for 4 months, unfortunately my score was a brutal 499 (126, 126, 123…, 124). My hope is that while a 50% MCAT isn’t close to good enough, it might have given me a basic understanding comparable to a below average BSc student just starting out their MCAT prep.

I’m currently in graduate school, and while things have been busy in the past 5 months my project is slowing down slightly for the time being. From now on I could dedicate (while retaking my Prep101 course for content review) ~40 hours a week to the MCAT between now and august 17th. I feel much fresher than I did last summer and have just recently started content review again, the terms are coming back to me quicker the second time and I feel like if I focus really hard over the next two months I could get an ok score. 

Does this seem realistic or would it be better to forgo applying to medical school in the short term, and instead re write the MCAT after I graduate (while maybe taking a couple extra relevant courses)? Really would appreciate some honest feedback.

Thanks!

On 6/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, ballsortahard said:

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on if my plan for a re-write is realistic. I wrote my MCAT last summer after graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering, and then studying full time for 4 months, unfortunately my score was a brutal 499 (126, 126, 123…, 124). My hope is that while a 50% MCAT isn’t close to good enough, it might have given me a basic understanding comparable to a below average BSc student just starting out their MCAT prep.

I’m currently in graduate school, and while things have been busy in the past 5 months my project is slowing down slightly for the time being. From now on I could dedicate (while retaking my Prep101 course for content review) ~40 hours a week to the MCAT between now and august 17th. I feel much fresher than I did last summer and have just recently started content review again, the terms are coming back to me quicker the second time and I feel like if I focus really hard over the next two months I could get an ok score. 

Does this seem realistic or would it be better to forgo applying to medical school in the short term, and instead re write the MCAT after I graduate (while maybe taking a couple extra relevant courses)? Really would appreciate some honest feedback.

Thanks!

TBH if you feel like you can get a solid 128-129 in CARS, write it. Worst case scenario, spend some money and write it again. While the schools do get to see all MCAT attempts, there are also plenty of applicants who have written it multiple times. You just need to make it above cutoffs for the science sections for most schools.