Premed 101 Forums

Exceptional Circumstances

19 hours ago, Ss123toy said:

I would really appreciate any input on this and whether this would be an appropriate thing to include in the exceptional circumstances box or if I should just leave it off my application? Thank you so much in advance.

Definitely add it, but be careful with how you phrase it. 

"This happened, this was the impact, this is how I've learned to deal with it, this is how I have overcome it and so it will not be a problem in the future" is how I worded my situation, but as concise as I could, without extra filler. You *are asking for sympathy, for their understanding that you had a valid reason for that year's grades and that it does not accurately represent your capabilities. However, you also want to demonstrate that it's not something that will continue to drag you down in med school (even if it can) Similar boat, both parents with ongoing chronic illnesses. Good luck!

I definitely agree with @chiynadoll in terms of writing that section carefully and appropriately.  That section used to be limited to 500 characters just last year I believe, and now it is 1000.  I think this simple change indicates that the committee cares about additional information of this kind, and that they would like applicants to give voice to the unique adversities they've faced.  I, too, am in a similar situation as yourself.  I made sure to get appropriate consent before filling this section out.  When I did, I wrote the description from the heart, making sure it is detailed yet concise and to the point, all the while mentioning how it has and currently is affecting me, and what I'm doing to help.  But as @DoctorArts said, the additional information along with everything else are reviewed holistically post-interview.  However, if you also included this activity within the non-academic section of the application, then that portion will be of course evaluated pre-interview as well.