Premed 101 Forums

Science prerequisites from Cegep

medreamer

Hi guys! 

I’m retaking some of my science prereqs at Vanier this summer and each class is costing me over $400 as I’m being charged $5 per course hour instead of the $2 I was expecting. The reason for this is because I’ve already taken the class at a different Cégep... has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? 

I thought redoing the classes at a Cegep was supposed to be the cheaper option.. 

please let me know if there’s anything that can be done.

thank you! 

I had already done my courses in cegep the first time around. Then a few university degrees... Went back to CEGEP and the cost was about half of that per course if not less. University courses were around that price. Think one class in cont. ed. at Dawson was around 160-180 ish. Make sure you are considered in province. If you are not born in Canada, you need to submit your immigration documents every single time you apply to one of these programs or schools. 

On 6/12/2019 at 12:28 PM, medreamer said:

Hi guys! 

I’m retaking some of my science prereqs at Vanier this summer and each class is costing me over $400 as I’m being charged $5 per course hour instead of the $2 I was expecting. The reason for this is because I’ve already taken the class at a different Cégep... has anyone else dealt with a similar situation? 

I thought redoing the classes at a Cegep was supposed to be the cheaper option.. 

please let me know if there’s anything that can be done.

thank you! 

Did you know that McGill removed the expiry date for the science prerequisite? I am not sure why you would retake them

"Please note that the Basic Science Prerequisite Policy was recently reviewed and the 8-year expiry date has been removed" 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites

5 hours ago, amt6500 said:

I had already done my courses in cegep the first time around. Then a few university degrees... Went back to CEGEP and the cost was about half of that per course if not less. University courses were around that price. Think one class in cont. ed. at Dawson was around 160-180 ish. Make sure you are considered in province. If you are not born in Canada, you need to submit your immigration documents every single time you apply to one of these programs or schools. 

Ohhh okay.. that's what I was expecting as well! It's crazy to pay $420 for one cegep course.  Do you think Vanier and Dawson may be different ?

When I went to inquire about this, I was told that the Ministry only subsidizes the course the first time you take it, and you have to pay the full amount because its ur choice to retake it for a better grade. But it's weird because I was pretty sure about people paying less than $200 at Dawson when taking it the second time. 

I think I'll go ask again, because I'm not born in Canada but I did provide them with everything and I've done my entire schooling here. 

10 minutes ago, Laly20 said:

Did you know that McGill removed the expiry date for the science prerequisite? I am not sure why you would retake them

"Please note that the Basic Science Prerequisite Policy was recently reviewed and the 8-year expiry date has been removed" 

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/basic-science-prerequisites

I'm not retaking them because they're expired, but to improve my grades :)

1 hour ago, medreamer said:

Ohhh okay.. that's what I was expecting as well! It's crazy to pay $420 for one cegep course.  Do you think Vanier and Dawson may be different ?

When I went to inquire about this, I was told that the Ministry only subsidizes the course the first time you take it, and you have to pay the full amount because its ur choice to retake it for a better grade. But it's weird because I was pretty sure about people paying less than $200 at Dawson when taking it the second time. 

I think I'll go ask again, because I'm not born in Canada but I did provide them with everything and I've done my entire schooling here. 

I am retaking a course at Dawson right now, had to apply to cont. education and prove my QC residency status and in the end, one course only cost $195.50, so maybe try Dawson next time (if you're thinking of taking other prereqs in the future)

10 minutes ago, verycaffeinated said:

I am retaking a course at Dawson right now, had to apply to cont. education and prove my QC residency status and in the end, one course only cost $195.50, so maybe try Dawson next time (if you're thinking of taking other prereqs in the future)

I only went with Vanier because Dawson was offering all science classes at the exact same time (at night only), while Vanier has classes during the day, but yeah now seeing the difference in price, I'm a little upset :/ but I also wanted to improve my sgpa for the next cycle so I didn't have a choice but it's definitely weird that both cegeps aren't charging the same