Premed 101 Forums

Money during med school?

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

not sure why this is such a pervasive line of thinking on this forum.. almost all medical school students I know work part-time in some way.

What school is this if you don't mind me asking? I've been out of the game for a while now, but even still the people I knew still actively doing MCAT tutoring/nursing shifts/pt shifts was the minority, I would estimate around 5-10%. My recommendation is still to use your time for wellness and get ahead on some research projects that will help you standout for the residency match. Doing some serious research while trying to learn and succeed in med school with a side hustle is like doing it with an extra ball and chain. Don't get me wrong, it is doable. But not something I personally would recommend.

I can’t speak to U of T specifically, but I know that quite a few people do paid summer studentships in research over the summer. :) Working during medical school is very uncommon, at least at my school. I personally wouldn’t recommend working on top of the busyness of medical school, but you can always try it out for a few weeks and see how it goes. I’d also try to apply for every scholarship and bursary you’re eligible for. Best of luck! 

Definitely apply for free money. Beyond that I wouldn't recommend doing something just to make some money, because you'll be making many times more as an attending. Use your free time to build solid habits for preserving some semblance of wellness- carve out time to cook, sleep enough, have physical activity, continue hobbies, and spend time with friends and family. It only gets harder to find balance from here. Your clerkship and residency self will thank you.