Premed 101 Forums

Applying to Med School when already enrolled in International program?

Does anyone know if medical schools allow for an applicant to apply for a spot in Canada if they're already completing a medical education in another medical school outside the country? This wouldn't be a transfer (ex apply to Canadian MD school in 1st year of Irish MD school, begin Canadian MD school in 2nd year), but would be beginning one's medical education from scratch. Apart from being a huge financial loss with some of the tuitions of international medical schools, has anyone heard of this being done/is this allowed?

47 minutes ago, 8314 said:

Does anyone know if medical schools allow for an applicant to apply for a spot in Canada if they're already completing a medical education in another medical school outside the country? This wouldn't be a transfer (ex apply to Canadian MD school in 1st year of Irish MD school, begin Canadian MD school in 2nd year), but would be beginning one's medical education from scratch. Apart from being a huge financial loss with some of the tuitions of international medical schools, has anyone heard of this being done/is this allowed?

This is allowed by UBC (assuming you're otherwise eligible) as long as you didn't withdraw for academic reasons, and you need to provide an explanation. Not sure about other schools. I don't know anyone personally that's done it, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes allowed by every Canadian school that is English speaking. As long as it is not a US MD school. Because of accreditation some Canadian schools won't allow you to come from a USMD...that said I have had two classmates in the past do just that. I believe they simply may have committed the fact that they attended a USMD for  year? Never really pressed because its not my business. 

There was one person who did 1 year in Australia and then got into my year and another who did 2 years in Ireland and was in the year above me. Both were very happy with the result. Huge costs but willing to shoulder the extra burden. And both breezed through medicine in Canada due to essentially repeating things they already learned in preclinical years. But know that the majority of people who think this will be them end up still not getting into canada and stay to complete their foreign degree and enter the crapshoot that is being an IMG for CaRMS or applying to the US1

Otherwise go nuts. Its no different then starting a degree in engineering, nursing etc and leaving part way.

Just dont expect any credit and you start at square one.