Premed 101 Forums

Discrepancy in GPA Calculation

Hi,

I am a bit confused about what my GPA calculation is. So my school uses scale #7 on the OMSAS conversion table. The letter grade for this directly corresponds with the #3 scale (ex. 85-89 is an A at my school). So as calculated by my school on my official transcript, my weighted percent grade for all my courses is 85.7% which should correspond to a 3.9. However, when I put my letter grades and course weight into an online calculator such as https://www.whatsmygpa.ca/ my GPA is only 3.79. I'm just confused as to which GPA is correct as my school does use scale #7. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Your cumulative GPA will not necessarily correspond to the OMSAS GPA. Only the grade achieved in each course will correspond to the OMSAS Chart. Reason for this is the OMSAS Scale is not linear like percentages. Also note that the online calculator may not be accurate with course weights. 

You should calculate your own GPA on an excel spreadsheet. Input each course, # of credits, and the grade achieved based on the OMSAS chart. This also helps you narrow down your wGPA for each specific school. Your cGPA is useless to most med schools. Almost every school drops a certain number of credits, takes only your best or last 2 years, etc...