Premed 101 Forums

Based on my experience, a car is not necessary for pre-clerkship, but it definitely makes things easier. You’re primarily at RGN during pre-clerkship, but there are also a few mandatory sessions you do with a family physician in their office, and community volunteering sessions in first year. I think you can get away without a car in clerkship depending on where your rotations are and where you live (keep in mind that rotation locations are allocated with a lottery system), but I can see it being quite difficult - there are times where you will be at a clinic in a different part of the city, and we all do at least one rotation rurally as well. 

I think (I’m not 100% sure) that there’s just one bus that stops in front of RGN, yes. I’m not sure about the hospital, though. In my experience, OC transpo is okay for the most part, but delays are definitely not uncommon, especially if it snows. The shuttle from main campus is very reliable, though! There’s also a shuttle that goes between the three TOH hospitals (General, Riverside, Civic). It’s very reliable and quite helpful if you have electives at the Civic or for the occasional PSD session at the SIM Centre, which is part of the Civic campus. 

I hope that helps! :) 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:13 AM, HappyAndHopeful said:

Based on my experience, a car is not necessary for pre-clerkship, but it definitely makes things easier. You’re primarily at RGN during pre-clerkship, but there are also a few mandatory sessions you do with a family physician in their office, and community volunteering sessions in first year. I think you can get away without a car in clerkship depending on where your rotations are and where you live (keep in mind that rotation locations are allocated with a lottery system), but I can see it being quite difficult - there are times where you will be at a clinic in a different part of the city, and we all do at least one rotation rurally as well. 

I think (I’m not 100% sure) that there’s just one bus that stops in front of RGN, yes. I’m not sure about the hospital, though. In my experience, OC transpo is okay for the most part, but delays are definitely not uncommon, especially if it snows. The shuttle from main campus is very reliable, though! There’s also a shuttle that goes between the three TOH hospitals (General, Riverside, Civic). It’s very reliable and quite helpful if you have electives at the Civic or for the occasional PSD session at the SIM Centre, which is part of the Civic campus. 

I hope that helps! :) 

Hi, completely unrelated, but for clerkship, do all your rotations have to be done in Ottawa or are you allowed to travel to say Toronto for them? I know other medical schools allow that, but I was wondering if Ottawa was the same.

thanks!

13 minutes ago, TheMoonshot said:

Hi, completely unrelated, but for clerkship, do all your rotations have to be done in Ottawa or are you allowed to travel to say Toronto for them? I know other medical schools allow that, but I was wondering if Ottawa was the same.

thanks!

Hey! We do have one (minimum) rural rotation that we do in clerkship, which can be done in the rural communities around Ottawa, rural communities around Toronto through ROMP (Barrie is included in that), or through NOSM. Generally, all non-rural rotations are done in Ottawa, yes. I haven’t heard of anyone doing any of them in Toronto, but this is something you can check with the school on during second year. Hope that helps! :) 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:01 PM, TheMoonshot said:

thanks!

I think you’re thinking of electives. Basically all school do their core rotations at their home school or rurally and then electives can be in other cities such as Toronto, rural, or at your home school.