Premed 101 Forums

Teeth whitening before dental school?

I’m planning to get my teeth whitened/ bleached before I begin dental school (starts in a few months). I’m still undecided about this. My teeth are good, and don’t really “need” it (I feel my teeth lack lustre) but I want to look my best before I start and want to make a good first impression on everyone I will be meeting soon. I feel like getting my teeth whitened will give me that extra confidence. I also know that the whitening/ bleaching process can make your teeth sensitive. Although it may be temporary, I don’t want to start having issues with my teeth just before dental school begins (Am I worrying too much?). Another thing is that perhaps once I become a dental student, I can get my teeth whitened free of cost. So, is it worth spending around $250 on a whitening/ bleaching procedure a couple of months before dental school? 

All of your thoughts and advice is much appreciated! 

Realistically people should be judging you on the way you act, not look. Unless you’re extremely unhealthy then maybe. 

In terms of whitening, I know a couple people who got them whitened. One person got them extremely white, which didn’t really look natural to me so I didnt like it. Another friend of mine had his whitened too, but they still looked natural and conveyed health. I’d say get em whitened if you want, but don’t get them unrealistically white haha.

14 minutes ago, Chaxon said:

Realistically people should be judging you on the way you act, not look. Unless you’re extremely unhealthy then maybe. 

In terms of whitening, I know a couple people who got them whitened. One person got them extremely white, which didn’t really look natural to me so I didnt like it. Another friend of mine had his whitened too, but they still looked natural and conveyed health. I’d say get em whitened if you want, but don’t get them unrealistically white haha.

Yeah, I was told by my dentist that they have 2 procedures for whitening and I was planning to get the procedure that did not make my teeth extremely white. She said they would still look natural unlike the other procedure. 

I agree.. I think you're overthinking it. My opinion is just go for it. If you're self conscious about the shade of your teeth then you'll love a whitened version and yes it can legitimately boost confidence. Any sensitivity will be temporary - max a day or two. The office you get it done at will go over this with you. Yes, it's worth $250 if it's done at a reputable dental clinic. Alternatively you could try Crest white strips at home first. They work pretty well in my experience. Just do it! You'll have better things to worry about once you're in school (and less time for dental appointments) :D

• 10 months later...

Hey while I agree with the other users that you are probably overthinking it, I personally felt like teeth whitening gave me a lot more confidence when meeting new people. I've been told that my teeth are yellow when I was in middle school, and that followed me every time I met someone.

I didn't do professional cleaning but I used the whitening strips on the market. Obviously results vary person to person, but I had really good results with it and a lot of people asked if I got my teeth whitened before (including my dentist!). So while I agree that it's not necessary, the whitening strips that I used were ~$60 and had great results. Hope you enjoy dental school!

• 2 years later...

I think it's always a good idea to do your research and talk to a dentist before undergoing any teeth whitening procedure. While temporary sensitivity is a common side effect, there are ways to minimize it and make the process more comfortable. Your dentist can also advise you on whether it's the right choice for your particular needs. As for the cost, it's definitely a personal decision. If you feel like the confidence boost you'll get from a brighter smile will be worth the expense, then go for it! But if you're not sure, why not try some more affordable options like over-the-counter whitening strips or using a charcoal-based toothpaste before committing to a more expensive procedure?

• 3 weeks later...

By now, you've probably noticed through decades of research that a bright smile can create a positive impression, make you look much younger and improve your first impression. However, did you know that teeth whitening can help you have a successful school year? Although the back-to-school season looks different in light of the current pandemic, it's still important to prepare for a successful semester ahead. If you notice stubborn stains and annoying discoloration on your teeth, read on for your back-to-school list.