Premed 101 Forums

Did you work during 1st and 2nd year of medical school?

If you're in Ontario, unfortunately you're penalized for working by reduced OSAP, so it's not worth it.

Personally, I ran my own small business doing interview prep because it was something I was very familiar with and had a strong referal base (everyone wants to prep with whoever helped their friend get in, ha).

During pre-clerkship I sometimes work 40+hrs/week (mostly evening and weekends). During clerkship I had to cut back, and never did more than 10hrs/week. Both of those are more than anyone would ever recommend (I don't recommend it either), but I was lucky and worked out well for me.

I don’t recommend working either during medcschool orcsummers. Med school is already tough enough. Moreover, depending upon your province, it is likely to be a zero sum gain, by reducing your bursary byvthexexact amount of your earnings. And your summers are for R & R,  as you will never have this opportunity again until retirement.

The few people I know who worked during M1-M2 (not only during summer) had jobs that helped them with classes (either nurses or pharmacy assistant). Outside of that, really not recommended during medschool.  And as Bambi said, keep some time to relax a little during summer!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all the above, OSAP now heavily decrease grants based on your income so not worth your time (esp given that it's better to focus on studying). You can play with the calculator online to see how this affects your grant.

There are many grants during the summer for research opportunities that are reasonable if you want some research experience anyways, however I do regret not taking more time off to relax during the summer!

Mr Duck

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:50 PM, Donald_Duck said:

Agree with all the above, OSAP now heavily decrease grants based on your income so not worth your time (esp given that it's better to focus on studying). You can play with the calculator online to see how this affects your grant.

There are many grants during the summer for research opportunities that are reasonable if you want some research experience anyways, however I do regret not taking more time off to relax during the summer!

Mr Duck

I am curious why people seem to be saying this. Playing around with the OSAP calculator for Ottawa's M.D. program does not change the estimates whether I declare income as anywhere from 0 - $15,000. In fact, my actual OSAP Funding for this semester is the same as a fellow incoming Med1 student who didn't work over the last year while I earned around 9 grand. 

Perhaps this grant decrease is mostly something that applies to those that are not Independent students?