Premed 101 Forums

pharmacy market

MrMister

hello guys

I want to know if is it true that the profession of pharmacist will die in few years, I see that many pharmacists come from outside of Canada (specially middle east and europe) , and it's easy for them to practice, it's not like Doctors that's is very tough) so that's cause a saturation, and the salary decrease ... like it's happening now in USA...plus, the gouvernement does not stop to cut in the salary of pharmacist owner... 

what'S do you think?

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, MrMister said:

hello guys

I want to know if is it true that the profession of pharmacist will die in few years, I see that many pharmacists come from outside of Canada (specially middle east and europe) , and it's easy for them to practice, it's not like Doctors that's is very tough) so that's cause a saturation, and the salary decrease ... like it's happening now in USA...plus, the gouvernement does not stop to cut in the salary of pharmacist owner... 

what'S do you think?

I think it all depends how many people graduate a year. Immigrants usually take lower paying jobs. Someone from India can be an Engineer and then when they come to Canada they are working for Walmart. And that is not so much as a surprise because their education does not match the requirements to practice here. 

Some immigrants are doctors because we do not have enough in some cities.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:01 PM, notagunner said:

If pharmacists continue to have the same responsibilities, the profession will diminish. America has online pharmacies where you can send a picture of a prescription to have it mailed to you. Canada has yet to do this, but once it happens pharmacies will take a massive hit.

Wanted to Chime in here. Whoever keeps quoting this has never owned a pharmacy....or a business for that matter. Weigh 500 tablets of metformin, which is one of the most common medications on this Earth.  Then go to Canada post and select shipping, and see how the price goes up by weight. Then select "track parcel". Then you'll see the net loss that you'll rake in. Then smile, because hopefully you did not agree to ship the medication out. 

Trust me, I have actually done this.   

However I may have occasionally dropped the fact that I ship all low cost medications using Canada post as a ruse as an attempt to put competitors out of business. :-)

18 hours ago, notagunner said:

How long before online pharmacies become as popular in Canada as they are in the U.S?

I don't really know. The ones I know of in Canada are hemorrhaging money, so most likely not for a long time unless standard shipping gets a lot cheaper, or moves towards a fixed cost model. 

Mail order customers are usually those who are on simple medications who's costs literally do not cover the costs of shipping. They are typically young individuals who do not want to go to a pharmacy. Paradoxically these mail order pharmacies also charge very low dispensing fees, which make it even more difficult to make any profit. 

Patients that are on complex medications, who technically would make good customers for mail order pharmacies don't trust having their meds sent over mail because of how quickly their medications change.

The ones that are left are patients that are young and are on high cost medication which are biologics or ART. The problem with biologics are that vast majority of them need to be refrigerated which make it very difficult to ship, and ART are so complex in terms of interactions that no one in their right mind would trust those medications be shipped by a random online pharmacy (PreP is an exception though, who will probably corner the market. They are also independently owned by an awesome pharmacist). 

Of the tiny minority that are left, they will probably go with mail order pharmacy, but with the fact that pharmacies are everywhere, all which are offering online refills, and free delivery, i don't understand why you would want to have your medications mailed to you. 

There are services in the US like Pillpack, which I question about their viability. I found it very fishy that they sold to Amazon so readily for $750 million, when they were slated to make 299 million in revenue that year with projections to double the next year and the year after. I'm assuming it's because their GP was abysmal. Their business is going to somehow going to ship med across to different states, and for reasons that I don't understand, pack each pill individually in little pouches for some insane cost, instead of putting them in cheap plastic bottles like a sane business who's goal is to not burn through shareholder money. 

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, kingassault said:

Be very very very careful before going into pharmacy. I am a former pharmacy student and I can tell you that everyone I talked to in my class was regretful after paying so much money for tuition and cost of living and spending so much time and effort for a career with very little payoff - 30 to 40 $/hr. Pharmacy is on its last legs and many recent grads are already looking for a new career. Do not make that mistake unless you have a very specific and well thought out plan -residency etc. Even then things don't go according to plan as these residency spots are so competitive. Avoid!!

Assuming u make $40/hr (some places start at $40/hr from the research I have done) that comes down to $83k/year before tax which imo isnt too bad. If you were to do accounting you would make around 70-80k/year. Nursing u can make 100k/year but you be working lots of overtime so maybe working like 16-18 hr shifts? Dentistry is over saturated too. Optom really depends if u can open ur own store and have lots of (clients) coming to your store. And well med school.. U prob couldnt get into med or if u could maybe u dont want to do another 6 years of school who knows

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, Forever_Regrets said:

Assuming u make $40/hr (some places start at $40/hr from the research I have done) that comes down to $83k/year before tax which imo isnt too bad. If you were to do accounting you would make around 70-80k/year. Nursing u can make 100k/year but you be working lots of overtime so maybe working like 16-18 hr shifts? Dentistry is over saturated too. Optom really depends if u can open ur own store and have lots of (clients) coming to your store. And well med school.. U prob couldnt get into med or if u could maybe u dont want to do another 6 years of school who knows

You can only reach 70k in accounting after you've done your CPA, which in and of itself requires 30 months of work as a staff accountant and two years of part-time study. Starting pay for accountants is absolute crap at 37K or so for big4, which is pretty much the poverty line in major cities. So in the grand scheme of things, Pharm isn't really that bad. Where I live (Victoria) wages are in the 43ish range and saturation isn't as bad. So what I would say to anyone complaining about Pharm: aside from Med/Dent, what mainstream, white-collar profession gets you 80K-90K right out of school? There aren't that many options. In order, I would rank it like this: Med>Dent>Optometry>Pharm>Law>Accounting>Nursing>sonography/medical lab tech>

On 6/10/2020 at 2:51 AM, kingassault said:

Be very very very careful before going into pharmacy. I am a former pharmacy student and I can tell you that everyone I talked to in my class was regretful after paying so much money for tuition and cost of living and spending so much time and effort for a career with very little payoff - 30 to 40 $/hr. Pharmacy is on its last legs and many recent grads are already looking for a new career. Do not make that mistake unless you have a very specific and well thought out plan -residency etc. Even then things don't go according to plan as these residency spots are so competitive. Avoid!!

On 6/10/2020 at 3:51 AM, kingassault said:

what are you pursuing now? what province are you from?

16 hours ago, confused_student said:

what are you pursuing now? what province are you from?

I think people over-exaggerate to be honest. Yes, pharmacy isn't perfect but heres the thing: NOT EVERYONE CAN GET INTO MED OR DENT.. And as Luna Captain mentioned its not that bad tbh. Pharmacy used to be way better when it was BSc because it was CHEAP and you made a decent salary. Now, salary I think is okay but not the best but the education is expensive af - similarly priced to med, but what can you do. In a way pharmacy isn't worth it but some ppl may not have better options. 

4 hours ago, Forever_Regrets said:

I think people over-exaggerate to be honest. Yes, pharmacy isn't perfect but heres the thing: NOT EVERYONE CAN GET INTO MED OR DENT.. And as Luna Captain mentioned its not that bad tbh. Pharmacy used to be way better when it was BSc because it was CHEAP and you made a decent salary. Now, salary I think is okay but not the best but the education is expensive af - similarly priced to med, but what can you do. In a way pharmacy isn't worth it but some ppl may not have better options. 

Are you currently in pharmacy? My other plan is dentistry and judging by grades I think I have a decent chance however I just dont know if I will like it. Some days I get excited about it while other days I feel depressed thinking about my life as a dentist. From what I've seen pharmacists can easily make a six figure salary. However, Im not sure how likely automation is for it

1 hour ago, confused_student said:

Are you currently in pharmacy? My other plan is dentistry and judging by grades I think I have a decent chance however I just dont know if I will like it. Some days I get excited about it while other days I feel depressed thinking about my life as a dentist. From what I've seen pharmacists can easily make a six figure salary. However, Im not sure how likely automation is for it

Oh hey, I see you’re here too LOL. 

Unfortunately, dentistry will face a similar future as pharmacy with corporates taking over not just the clinics, but also the schools. With almost half the clinics being corporate in US and school events and fundings being provided by these big companies, it does not have the brightest future. It’s one of the main reasons why medicine is objectively harder to get into and objectively have a better outlook with government funded residencies acting as a gatekeeper of supply. 

All this means is, if you decide on dentistry or pharmacy,  make sure you are not expecting the flashy lifestyle these professions provided in the past. 

Source:

Parents/sibling/myself as pharmacists and/or dentists. 

https://www.cda-adc.ca/en/services/internationallytrained/economic/  (Last paragraph)

https://www.dentalcorp.ca/site/blog/2019/09/12/dentalcorp-donates-largest-gift-in-usask-college-of-dentistry-history

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/outlook-occupation/18196/ca

"For Pharmacists, over the period 2019-2028, new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 12,500 , while 16,600 new job seekers (arising from school leavers, immigration and mobility) are expected to be available to fill them."

Supply > Demand

28 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/outlook-occupation/18196/ca

"For Pharmacists, over the period 2019-2028, new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 12,500 , while 16,600 new job seekers (arising from school leavers, immigration and mobility) are expected to be available to fill them."

Supply > Demand

If people are afraid to go in, then props to me then. I just can't see myself getting into MEDICAL SCHOOL because its ridiculously hard. Do you have any other suggestion???? I think physiotherapy is pretty good too but it really depends if you can find clients. Honestly, everything has it flaws. If only I was talented enough to do house flipping. You can make millions but now its eh.. 

2 hours ago, confused_student said:

Everything has its flaws (even med). For me, I chose pharm because I don't see myself being able to climb higher if you know what I mean. Medicine is impossible for me, dentistry I am awful at spatial reasoning, optom only one school in canada, physiotherapy is just as competitive as med. 

21 minutes ago, Forever_Regrets said:

Everything has its flaws (even med). For me, I chose pharm because I don't see myself being able to climb higher if you know what I mean. Medicine is impossible for me, dentistry I am awful at spatial reasoning, optom only one school in canada, physiotherapy is just as competitive as med. 

1 minute ago, offmychestplease said:

lmao please don't say you that "physio is just as competitive as med" that is so wrong, it's upright disrespectful. Without saying any objective facts about the process (physio does not need the MCAT, physio does not need crazy number of subjective EC's, physio interview is a joke, physio GPA standards are lower, etc etc), I know someone who applied to med 4 times, rejected each time, applies to physio once gets in right away 

How is that disrespectful?

Just because we're in medicine doesn't give us the right to shit on other people's professions...

9 minutes ago, offmychestplease said:

lmao please don't say you that "physio is just as competitive as med" that is so wrong, it's upright disrespectful. Without saying any objective facts about the process (physio does not need the MCAT, physio does not need crazy number of subjective EC's, physio interview is a joke, physio GPA standards are lower,  med applicants are much stronger/more of them as well (and many having graduate degrees etc), etc etc), I know someone who applied to med 4 times, rejected each time, applies to physio once gets in right away to multiple schools

Does it make you happier if re-word it saying physio is also crazy competitive but less competitive than med god fking damn it. No matter what, professional schools in Canada are competitive. Physio GPA standards are NOT lower. IN physio you still need strong EC's. However, you do NOT need the MCAT I give you that. Physio also has MMI (for UBC at least).