Premed 101 Forums

wGPA question

Hi,

I was calculating my wGPA and I get 2 different wGPAs. First, I calculated the average GPA for each year with the lowest marks removed and I get 3.83. However, when I add all the grades (GPA) in each course for all the years (5 years) as one large sum, removing lowest 10 credits and averaging sum/40 credits, I get 3.86. which way is the correct way?

Thanks

7 hours ago, drager said:

Hi,

I was calculating my wGPA and I get 2 different wGPAs. First, I calculated the average GPA for each year with the lowest marks removed and I get 3.83. However, when I add all the grades in each course for all the years (5 years) as one large sum, removing lowest 10 credits and averaging sum/40 credits, I get 3.86. which way is the correct way?

Thanks

The later approach is correct. You don't compute it by year; you use every course collectively once you remove the lowest grades. 

Which is good ha as it seems to boost your GPA a bit!

Edited by rmorelan

2 hours ago, rmorelan said:

The later approach is correct. You don't compute it by year; you use every course collectively once you remove the lowest grades. 

Thanks! Yea, I'll take any boost I can get!

17 hours ago, rmorelan said:

How can you tell from the the original post what drager has actually done? I don't think it was unambiguous. If "grades" means % grade (as apposed to GPA as was mentioned earlier in the post) than, I think the second method is not right. 

22 minutes ago, Zuk said:

How can you tell from the the original post what drager has actually done? I don't think it was unambiguous. If "grades" means % grade (as apposed to GPA as was mentioned earlier in the post) than, I think the second method is not right. 

Sorry for the confusion, where I mentioned grades, I should've written individual GPAs for each course. 

17 minutes ago, drager said:

Sorry for the confusion, where I mentioned grades, I should've written individual GPAs for each course. 

Oh no worries, in that case the comment from rmorelan is correct. Congratulations, 3.86 is pretty good I think your GPA shouldn't hold you back.  

41 minutes ago, Zuk said:

Oh no worries, in that case the comment from rmorelan is correct. Congratulations, 3.86 is pretty good I think your GPA shouldn't hold you back.  

Thanks! I was surprised by the increase too. I've been doing the calculation the other way last year and was really discouraged. 

On 6/30/2019 at 4:35 PM, Zuk said:

3.83 is pretty good too, many people are accepted to medical school with That GPA. 

Hey Zuk, are you saying people are accepted to UofT with a wGPA of 3.83?

That's what my wGPA is and I feel like I won't even be considered for an interview lol.

Just got accepted and my raw gpa was 3.82 or 83 and my wGPA was 3.92 (I had 3 off grades in there). In the admission recap video they said the avg raw gpa of people invited for interviews was 3.86 and avg accepted raw gpa 3.91 (or at least I think that's what they said)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 2:25 AM, pinkneuron said:

Hey Zuk, are you saying people are accepted to UofT with a wGPA of 3.83?

That's what my wGPA is and I feel like I won't even be considered for an interview lol.

Yeah dude, I don't know your personal story and I think that the lower your GPA is the better you would need to do on the written and interview portions of the process. All you need to do to see that people with "low" GPAs are accepted is to look into the accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads :)