Premed 101 Forums

Doing a U.S. FM Residency and Coming Back to Canada

Hi all,

I am a Canadian student currently at a U.S. MD school and I am interested in FM. If I were to complete a U.S. FM residency, would I be able to return to Canada to live and work without any problems? Could someone outline the pathway to doing this? My goal would be to return to Ontario to live and work.

Are there some U.S. FM residencies that would not allow me to return to Canada? Or would the vast majority allow me to return? Also, someone on this forum mentioned that some provinces require "obstetrics" training for you to return. Do you know which provinces require this? Is Ontario one of them? How does this "obstetrics training" thing work when it comes to U.S. FM residencies and wanting to return to Canada? Would I be able to satisfy this requirement through my U.S. FM residency, etc.?

Is there anything I need to be wary of with regards to doing a U.S. FM residency and returning to Canada, etc.? (Like certain requirements I need to be aware of, other things, etc.?)

Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

• 1 month later...

see my post - it wil answer all your questoins

1) Ontario only accepts ACGME accreditated residencies

2) I have no idea how OB training would work - they have Women's Health +1 PGY3 in Ontario 

3) Take the LMCC1,2,  get your state medical license, any tiny mistake you make (gap year, etc.) needs to be explained in so much writing to the Ontario College

in your case if you don't take LMCC1,2 you will be under pathway -3 application requires - state medical license, U.S. medical school grad, U.S. ACGME resiency, Canadian citizenship

if you take your LMCC1,2 you are in a different pathway - you don't need the 1 year supervision and end of year assessment and billing cut to the office/supervisor - you will save $100,000+ if you take LMCC1,2