Premed 101 Forums

2019-2020 UofT MD Essay Topics

New essays for this year seem way more relevant than last years. What are peoples thoughts?

1. “Reducing the economic gap may be impossible without also addressing the gap in empathy.” ― Daniel Goleman. Why is this the case? How might healthcare professionals advocate to help reduce these gaps?
  2. Uncomfortable conversations, although difficult and even hostile at times, are not necessarily unsafe ones. Do you agree or disagree? Discuss a time where you had to partake in such an uncomfortable conversation and how you handled it.
  3. There are many relationships that have an inherent power imbalance, such as teacher/student, physician/patient, or police officer/citizen. Describe a situation where you have experienced a power imbalance and what it taught you.
  4. Failure is an essential part of the learning process. Discuss a recent setback you experienced and overcame. What resources and/or tools helped you overcome this failure?

8 minutes ago, lurker25 said:

They look a bit deeper than last year's; seems like one would need to put in more thought (i.e. work) into them, although I don't deny the topics are relevant. From an applicant's perspective I'm happy I didn't get these B)

Feeling the same way. Compared to when I first applied in 2017, I've felt that essays have been progressively asking candidates about more challenging (and occasionally, arguably nuanced) experiences from their candidates. 

I was wondering what thoughts were on using experiences in the essays that have been written about in the 3 ABS Statements. I know that UofT says that they evaluate the ABS + 3 Statements independently of the 4 essays, but could this be a disadvantage? I have several experiences I could use to answer my essays but the most relevant/stronger experiences essays are also part of the experiences I wrote in 2-3 of my ABS statements. Any guidance is appreciated!

5 hours ago, yeescience said:

I was wondering what thoughts were on using experiences in the essays that have been written about in the 3 ABS Statements. I know that UofT says that they evaluate the ABS + 3 Statements independently of the 4 essays, but could this be a disadvantage? I have several experiences I could use to answer my essays but the most relevant/stronger experiences essays are also part of the experiences I wrote in 2-3 of my ABS statements. Any guidance is appreciated!

I would recommend you use the strongest/most relevant experiences. If they happen to be the same, especially if UofT says that they evaluate the ABS/statements and 4 essays separately, it should be fine. I personally took anecdotes from the same activities used in my 3 statements throughout my 4 essays (in addition to answering the question, providing personal insight/stories) and had no problems being accepted to UofT :) 

Best of luck! 

21 hours ago, PotatoPotato said:

I would recommend you use the strongest/most relevant experiences. If they happen to be the same, especially if UofT says that they evaluate the ABS/statements and 4 essays separately, it should be fine. I personally took anecdotes from the same activities used in my 3 statements throughout my 4 essays (in addition to answering the question, providing personal insight/stories) and had no problems being accepted to UofT :) 

Best of luck! 

Thank you! :)

Do all of these essays have to be verifiable? Or would you only need to verify them if you reference an organized activity as part of your response? I would find it strange to try to find a verifier for the "uncomfortable conversations" I've had in my life. I would say that the my strongest experiences in that category were fairly privileged conversations, for instance.