Premed 101 Forums

So I was looking through the U of A academic requirements for GPA. It looks like how they will calculate cGPA is yet to be determined. Depending on how they calculate it, it could really help me this cycle because I have two poor years and three good ones. Anyone have any insight on what the cGPA calculation could look like? 

I was wondering the same thing.  I have no idea how they will alter it, if it all.  I am a first-time applicant this cycle, so I am not even completely sure if this isn't some disclaimer type thing they post on their site annually. That being said, this could be good or bad.  I was definitely a fan of the drop the lowest year policy, but something like a Queens/Western style weighting also wouldn't be bad IMO. Hopefully they don't switch to something akin to U of T, or remove the weighting altogether.  Changes like that would hurt my chances severely  :(  It could even be as minor as no longer assessing spring/summer courses taken on a full time basis.

I don't know if anyone can truly answer this.  We will probably just have to wait and see.  

Interesting. I know they already changed the cGPA calculations last year with how they account for spring and summer courses. Hopefully they continue to change things in the direction of accepting people with "lower" GPAs. They are missing out on a lot of great applicants with the averages where they are at right now.

I would hope that they eventually move to a cutoff style model, where if you have a GPA over a 3.5 or so you meet the criteria and it wont account for anything further.

I really like western’s system of calculating with the two best years or ottawa with their weighted last three year system. I feel like a lot of mature applicants who would otherwise be a great fit are locked out because of two to three poor years at the start of their undergrad. It can be almost impossible to raise your GPA after two 2.0 - 2.5 years. Many come back with an almost 4.0 GPA in subsequent years of study.

3 hours ago, Lancia Stratos said:

Interesting. I know they already changed the cGPA calculations last year with how they account for spring and summer courses. Hopefully they continue to change things in the direction of accepting people with "lower" GPAs. They are missing out on a lot of great applicants with the averages where they are at right now.

I would hope that they eventually move to a cutoff style model, where if you have a GPA over a 3.5 or so you meet the criteria and it wont account for anything further.

Sorry I'll hopefully be applying for the first time this year, did they count or not count summer courses last year?

On 7/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, Broken man said:

Sorry I'll hopefully be applying for the first time this year, did they count or not count summer courses last year?

Spring and summer semesters that are full time (2 or more courses) are now counted towards your GPA (or they were, last cycle).  Whereas before I believe it was only courses taken between September-April.

Hopefully the school clarifies how they will be calculating and dealing with GPA in the future. Would be interesting to know.