Premed 101 Forums

New cGPA at U of A

So I was looking through the U of A academic requirements for GPA. It looks like how they will calculate cGPA is yet to be determined. Depending on how they calculate it, it could really help me this cycle because I have two poor years and three good ones. Anyone have any insight on what the cGPA calculation could look like? 

I was wondering the same thing.  I have no idea how they will alter it, if it all.  I am a first-time applicant this cycle, so I am not even completely sure if this isn't some disclaimer type thing they post on their site annually. That being said, this could be good or bad.  I was definitely a fan of the drop the lowest year policy, but something like a Queens/Western style weighting also wouldn't be bad IMO. Hopefully they don't switch to something akin to U of T, or remove the weighting altogether.  Changes like that would hurt my chances severely  :(  It could even be as minor as no longer assessing spring/summer courses taken on a full time basis.

I don't know if anyone can truly answer this.  We will probably just have to wait and see.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I know they already changed the cGPA calculations last year with how they account for spring and summer courses. Hopefully they continue to change things in the direction of accepting people with "lower" GPAs. They are missing out on a lot of great applicants with the averages where they are at right now.

I would hope that they eventually move to a cutoff style model, where if you have a GPA over a 3.5 or so you meet the criteria and it wont account for anything further.

I really like western’s system of calculating with the two best years or ottawa with their weighted last three year system. I feel like a lot of mature applicants who would otherwise be a great fit are locked out because of two to three poor years at the start of their undergrad. It can be almost impossible to raise your GPA after two 2.0 - 2.5 years. Many come back with an almost 4.0 GPA in subsequent years of study.

3 hours ago, Lancia Stratos said:

Interesting. I know they already changed the cGPA calculations last year with how they account for spring and summer courses. Hopefully they continue to change things in the direction of accepting people with "lower" GPAs. They are missing out on a lot of great applicants with the averages where they are at right now.

I would hope that they eventually move to a cutoff style model, where if you have a GPA over a 3.5 or so you meet the criteria and it wont account for anything further.

Sorry I'll hopefully be applying for the first time this year, did they count or not count summer courses last year?

On 7/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, Broken man said:

Sorry I'll hopefully be applying for the first time this year, did they count or not count summer courses last year?

Spring and summer semesters that are full time (2 or more courses) are now counted towards your GPA (or they were, last cycle).  Whereas before I believe it was only courses taken between September-April.

Hopefully the school clarifies how they will be calculating and dealing with GPA in the future. Would be interesting to know.

It looks like they've released the cGPA calculation for this year. The only change I see is that spring/summer term must have 12 credits in order to be used in GPA calculations. They still drop the lowest year as before. I'm a bit disappointed that no change occurred but I expected something similar to this, so I can't be too surprised. Good luck to everyone this year!

"To calculate cGPA, we include all transferable post-secondary coursework to which a grade was assigned while the student was enrolled full-time (by UofA definition) during the academic year (September through April) or full-time during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August).

For undergraduate students, to be considered full-time you must complete 18 transferable units of course weight (ucw) during the academic year (September through April) or 12 ucw during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August).

All coursework completed as part of a thesis-based graduate program to which a grade and course weighting was assigned will be included in the calculation of cGPA.

For applicants presenting 4 or more full-time academic years (September through April) of transferable post-secondary coursework, we may exclude the lowest academic year from calculation, provided that it is not the most recent full-time academic year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

So does this mean that as a fourth year, I won't get my lowest year dropped anymore? And does this mean that master's GPA will be included as a full-year now? If so, it seems doing a thesis-based masters would be very beneficial if you don't get in.

3 hours ago, generationunsuccessful said:

So does this mean that as a fourth year, I won't get my lowest year dropped anymore? And does this mean that master's GPA will be included as a full-year now? If so, it seems doing a thesis-based masters would be very beneficial if you don't get in.

I think so, guess these two A-'s from my MSc are going to hurt me now..

9 hours ago, generationunsuccessful said:

So does this mean that as a fourth year, I won't get my lowest year dropped anymore?

Wow... this will surely hurt a lot of applicants if it is the case.  Considering rumours that the U of A is moving away from "just high stats" applicants,  I wonder how much this would hurt well rounded applicants with one lower year.  It kind of sucks that fourth years for the last cycle would have quite an advantage on us in that scenario,  but I guess that is the nature of this process :unsure:

20 hours ago, generationunsuccessful said:

"To calculate cGPA, we include all transferable post-secondary coursework to which a grade was assigned while the student was enrolled full-time (by UofA definition) during the academic year (September through April) or full-time during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August).

For undergraduate students, to be considered full-time you must complete 18 transferable units of course weight (ucw) during the academic year (September through April) or 12 ucw during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August).

All coursework completed as part of a thesis-based graduate program to which a grade and course weighting was assigned will be included in the calculation of cGPA.

For applicants presenting 4 or more full-time academic years (September through April) of transferable post-secondary coursework, we may exclude the lowest academic year from calculation, provided that it is not the most recent full-time academic year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

does this mean that if you do a masters they use those years ontop of the 4 full time academic years, or would it be like year 3&4 UG and year 1&2 masters 

2 hours ago, demir2119 said:

In this case, a full time in fall/winter is 4 courses each right? Is this a recent change? I've always though U of C med has 4 courses each sem as full time while U of A's full time is 5.

I believe it is 3 courses each based on what they have on their site for fall/winter.  

11 hours ago, demir2119 said:

In this case, a full time in fall/winter is 4 courses each right? Is this a recent change? I've always though U of C med has 4 courses each sem as full time while U of A's full time is 5.

"For undergraduate students, to be considered full-time you must complete 18 transferable units of course weight (ucw) during the academic year (September through April) or 12 ucw during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August)."

Sounds like 6 half courses for the entire year = 1 academic year

Does anyone know where to find the grade conversion chart (coming from omsas)? I can't find it anywhere here or on their website

26 minutes ago, rinzler said:

"For undergraduate students, to be considered full-time you must complete 18 transferable units of course weight (ucw) during the academic year (September through April) or 12 ucw during the Spring and Summer terms (May through August)."

Sounds like 6 half courses for the entire year = 1 academic year

Does anyone know where to find the grade conversion chart (coming from omsas)? I can't find it anywhere here or on their website

Excellent

A+

A

A-

Good

B+

B

B-

Satisfactory

C+

C

C-

Poor

D+

Minimal Pass

D

Failure

F

It's on their general grading system page. They use that for MD applicants as well.