Premed 101 Forums

Chances for interview (NB category)

How many people are invited for an interview in the NB category? It says on the website that there'a about 80 applications each year, so about 50ish interview invites?

Also, what are my chances of receiving an interview invite with a 3.65 or 3.7 GPA, but with a strong upward trend (very bad two and a half first years (8-10 years ago), then above 3.9 in the next 4.5 years). I'm taking the MCAT at the end of August, and I'm hoping to have at least 128 on each section. I have pretty decent ECs as well.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, PulsusParadoxus said:

Yeah, 50-ish give or take is what my estimate was through my cycles applying. 

That strong trend to the end definitely works in your favour I received an interview (in the NB pool) with a similar GPA. 

As long as your MCAT is good and your EC’s are solid, you have a reasonably good shot at an interview. 

Awesome thank you!

I calculated my GPA according to MUN's grade conversion chart and my GPA for the last 4 years out of 7 is 4.0/4.0 for each year. So the upward trend would be taken into consideration?

Most likely, especially if it's sustained like that. Shows you can perform academically, even though you had a rough start. 

MUN can be pretty forgiving GPA-wise. The first time I applied my GPA was very mediocre, my EC's were very basic and I still received an interview as an NB resident. I never really understood how, but it happened. I guess they saw something in my application that they liked, as the website says that they take "a holistic approach" to evaluating applications.

That said, nothing in life is guaranteed but death and taxes and you never quite know what the competition in any given year will look like.

If you've got any questions feel free to PM me.