Premed 101 Forums

Family medicine advice

I don't have any family medicine in my pre-carms schedule, but I'm really interested in family, maybe even more so than in the specialties I was gunning for.

I was thinking of spending a week or two doing an "observership" with a family medicine clinic in the city where I want to match, but I'm not sure about how to find the high-yield places to contact (the clinics with the important people who sit on the admissions committee)

And i don't really know what a strong family medicine application looks like.

17 minutes ago, IMG2015 said:

I have the same question and i share the same interest, however i am an IMG ? 

Also how competitive are the french schools in Quebec for an IMG who speaks french (did my high school in french) ?

Quebec does not have IMG/CMG streaming, hence all positions are called competitive. IMGs apply to the same positions as Canadian graduates in all disciplines in Quebec. To do so, you must be pre-approved by la Conférence des vice-doyens aux études postdoctorales des facultés de médecine du Québec. You also need to contact CMQ to be granted for equivalence for your MD abroad.

There are many unfilled francophone family medicine positions in Quebec in the past few years (like many many many spots). So I do not think you will have a problem matching to FM in Quebec if you are francophone, even as an IMG. Good luck!

37 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

Quebec does not have IMG/CMG streaming, hence all positions are called competitive. IMGs apply to the same positions as Canadian graduates in all disciplines in Quebec. To do so, you must be pre-approved by la Conférence des vice-doyens aux études postdoctorales des facultés de médecine du Québec. You also need to contact CMQ to be granted for equivalence for your MD abroad.

There are many unfilled francophone family medicine positions in Quebec in the past few years (like many many many spots). So I do not think you will have a problem matching to FM in Quebec if you are francophone, even as an IMG. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply!

I am in the process of obtaining the CMQ equivalence right now and hopefully can apply for the 2020-2021 match at the end of this year

Are you an IMG ? my understanding is that the CMQ equivalence is required only for IMGs and probably non-quebec medical graduates ( not sure about that one ) 
for instructions on how to apply : http://www.cmq.org/page/en/reconnaissance-equivalence-diplome.aspx

It should take around a month provided that you have all your documents ready but i would recommend to start as soon as possible to allow time in case of any missing documents before the match season starts