Premed 101 Forums

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:39 PM, Doctor26 said:

Who is applying to NOSM this year? 

What does your Context, GPA, Autobiographical Sketch look like?

Hey Doctor26

It's a long shot...but here it is

Context: Born and bred Southern Ontario; Major city

48 years old

Wife and 3 kids

Full 20 year career as physiotherapist

GPA: 3.57 (included Masters 0.2)

Autobio: Relief work in Panama, DR, India, Northern Ontario

Orthopaedic Medicine clinical instructor to MDs.

Physiotherapy Clinical instructor

etc

I have a strong desire to help under-serviced areas all over the world. My weakest links are GPA and I don't live in NO. My strengths are my 20 yr career and I'm a mature student (maybe?)

Good luck to y'all!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, P.T.2M.D. said:

Hey Doctor26

It's a long shot...but here it is

Context: Born and bred Southern Ontario; Major city

48 years old

Wife and 3 kids

Full 20 year career as physiotherapist

GPA: 3.57 (included Masters 0.2)

Autobio: Relief work in Panama, DR, India, Northern Ontario

Orthopaedic Medicine clinical instructor to MDs.

Physiotherapy Clinical instructor

etc

I have a strong desire to help under-serviced areas all over the world. My weakest links are GPA and I don't live in NO. My strengths are my 20 yr career and I'm a mature student (maybe?)

Good luck to y'all!

Wow! You are inspiring. I am also a mature applicant and sometimes I feel down about my age but reading your post was inspiring :) Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...

@P.T.2M.D.

Just reading forums and I want to say thank you for sharing, I'm 30 and have been a nurse for 6 years, planning to apply to NOSM next cycle, and I struggled for a couple years already with thinking I was too old to follow my dream (as many things in life have happened to slow down the process).

It's people like you willing to share your story that make people like me feel better about going after this dream after all.

Good luck to you and hopefully 'see you around'! :)

• 1 month later...

Context: 30 yr old elementary teacher with a 3 yo son, graduated 8 years ago from undergrad in biology, 7 years ago from my B. Ed. Grew up in a <1000 pop town but not in northern Ontario. went to university in North Bay, currently living in an isolated northern community in Labrador for the past 2.5 years

GPA/MCAT: 3.51 according to OMSAS, 510 (125 C/P, 129 CARS, 126 B/B, 130 P/S)

ECs: lots of volunteer experience working with various groups at the local family resources center, youth groups, coaching etc but more so when I was younger. Research experience but no publications beyond the company, studied the effects of low dose radiation on immune response.

Good morning friends! Here's my info but let me start by saying you're all winners in my heart regardless of whether you receive or don't receive an interview this morning. Applying to med schools is tough and for those of you who are applying for the first time or are stubborn/persistent enough like me to reapply year after year (3rd time applicant to NOSM here), I really commend all of you for taking the courageous and patient steps of a) spending tens to hundreds of hours gathering and putting together your application; b) clicking that Submit button knowing your hard work now rests on the hands of the admissions committees; and c) patiently waiting 3 months for this day to arrive. You're all rock stars in my book!

Interview invite: Thunderbay, March 7th

Context: born and bred in a small town in northern BC  (~10,000 people) and went to university in northern BC.

-25 years old so that makes me a mature applicant 

GPA: 3.72

ECs: way too many to list so please DM me if you'd like to know more about this.

Timestamp: 9:50 AM EST

Interview: No
GPA: 3.5 (If I calculated correctly)
Context: Grew up in rural area (First Nations reserve), completed high school and undergraduate degree in Northern Ontario, worked in 3 Northern communities
ECs: Master’s degree, some volunteering and charity work, some sports and hobbies, a lot of experience with working with Indigenous populations, and I’m also status First Nations
Non-trad?: Yes, 33 years old
# of previous applications: 0

Interview Location/Date/Time: N/A

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview! I’ll be re-applying for 2021 admissions :) 

Timestamp: 8:20 AM

Interview: Yes 
GPA: 3.8 in undergrad
Context: Lived in small town in Northern Ontario my entire life. BA and MA in Psychology - 25 years old.
ECs: Currently work at a not-for-profit. Various clinical volunteer experiences. Research experience, NSERC and a few other awards, one publication and multiple conference presentations.
# of previous applications: 0

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury in March

Congrats to everyone for putting yourself out there and going through this process!

• 3 weeks later...

Timestamp: ~8 AM, Jan. 13

Interview: Yes 
GPA: 3.54 in undergrad
Context: Grew up in small town in Northern Ontario then moved to Sudbury. BSc. Francophone applicant.
ECs: Hospital and other volunteer positions, some unpublished research + a conference presentation, internship
# of previous applications: 2

Interview Location/Date/Time: Sudbury in March

Congratulations to everyone on applying, if bad news this year - continue to apply!

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, ruralmed said:

The rest of the NOSM interviews will now be online also.

Does anyone else have bad internet connection and worry that the online interview won't work properly? 

Satellite internet suckss :( 

I'm sure they will take that into consideration. I can't see them weighing interviews as much as usual since half were in person and half virtual. Hard to evaluate the 2 types the same way.