Premed 101 Forums

Verifier out of country or does not speak English

Hey everyone! Could you clarify some questions for me?

1) I have an activity where my verifier works out of the country 75% of the year. In this case I don't think a phone number would be the best form of contact (12 hour time difference + long distance). How can I indicate this in my application? By only providing email? 

2) I have an activity where my verifier does not speak English at a conversational level (my mom), but she can read just fine with the help of google translate. How can I indicate this in my application? By only providing email? 

On OMSAS the verifier phone number is mandatory.

As an aside, what happens if a verifier has no phone? 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Don't use immediate family members as verifier. Put the phone number regardless, on the off chance they actually want to reach out they can leave a voicemail.

Who should you use for an activity that you've been doing since you were young? Ex. I started playing the violin at 5. I have not been in contact with my violin teacher in over 12 years but I kept playing after I stopped taking lessons ... I would have used my mom since she and my other immediate family members are pretty much the only people who have seen me play from the start.

51 minutes ago, Maggie19 said:

Who should you use for an activity that you've been doing since you were young? Ex. I started playing the violin at 5. I have not been in contact with my violin teacher in over 12 years but I kept playing after I stopped taking lessons ... I would have used my mom since she and my other immediate family members are pretty much the only people who have seen me play from the start.

I used a parent for my sports involvement and a sibling for a different entry. Last possible resort but it’s not an automatic fail if you do. 

I gave the international number, and email for my international verifier and he spoke next to no English. For schools that send automated emails requiring him to select yes/no or provide detail, he used an online translator. Not sure how accurate that was. He didn’t get a call from omsas though. (Although none of my verifiers did)