Premed 101 Forums

Need advice: early acceptance into medical school but want to decline, is it wise?

My friend (lets call him tom) got accepted into a medical school, which is fricken fantastic, but the situation feels like he got poached, and I can't help but feel a little sorry for him . Tom is already a reapplicant and started his second round of apps for THIS cycle but got this acceptance call in July (when he already submit 20 new apps) saying that he was accepted by X medical school from LAST cycle, but they are going to defer tom till next year. And now Tom has 10 days to decide whether or not he wants to accept enrollment. School X told Tom he was accepted to Class of 2023 but was then sent a follow-up email that he will actually be deferred to Class of 2024 which is another whole year later. I know this might come off as arrogant or ungrateful but the situation is just feels so passive, Tom really seems to have no choice but to accept and wait around for another year. 

Would there be any acceptable reason to decline this acceptance, because of this special scenario? Would there still be a chance of other schools interviewing him after seeing his status change on AMCAS? Would the fact that this institution is extremely expensive be a valid reason?

This is a very tricky situation and I just want the best for Tom, so any input and advise would be greatly appreciated!!

My two cents are, it doesn't seem that weird.  If it is a reputable medical school (you should check their certification status/history), and your friend would be happy going there, there doesn't seem to be a problem. If he decided to decline the offer and reapply, he would go into the class of 2024 anyway, so unless he's gunning for a different school, there'd really be no point.

P.S. You should post this on SDN. Might find someone who's been in this situation before.

• 2 weeks later...