Premed 101 Forums

1st year Canadian Medical Student Q&A

Heyooo,

I am extremely fortunate and blessed to have been accepted to medical school this year and wanted to pay it forward. I am not making this post to brag or gloat about myself, but I want to give back to the students who are in the middle of applying. I received a lot of support and read a lot of threads on this forum so I want to help as much as I can. I have read of people making similar posts on another forum-based platform so I wanted to test this out on premed forums!

My (academic?) background:

- completed my biology undergrad in western canada this year (lived with family)

- applied to: McMaster, University of Toronto, Queens, Ottawa, Manitoba, University of Alberta, University of Calgary and University of British Columbia

- interviewed at: Queens University,  University of Toronto, Manitoba, University of Alberta, University of Calgary and University of British Columbia

- accepted at: Queens University,  University of Toronto, University of Alberta, University of Calgary and University of British Columbia

- decided on: University of Alberta

Let me know if you have any questions or would like me to look something over by posting below or sending me a personal message.

Not too sure how descriptive you would like, but my GPA was different for each school. However, my OMSAS GPA was a 3.89, but for U of T my GPA was 3.98. My U of C GPA was 3.95. My UBC percentage was 90%. MCAT was 515.

My ECs were playing soccer (recreationally), coaching soccer (4 years), refereeing soccer (5 years), volunteering in a hospital, involved in one club on campus, and others. If you would like a more detailed breakdown, let me know. A lot of long-term commitment (2+ years) with progression (e.g. moved in my student club from a junior to senior member). 

I would say my ECs were the strongest part of my application.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:53 PM, garceyues said:

What did you think of the programs offered at each school you were accepted at,  and what made you choose U of A in the end?

Each school had a wonderful program. I was torn between three schools and ultimately chose U of A because it is closer to family and still a strong school with a relatively small class size. For a more detailed breakdown, please send me a DM.