Premed 101 Forums

Ontario pre-meds/meds: Athabasca Organic Chem 350? Thoughts?

Ever since UOttawa has introduced organic chemistry as a mandatory pre-req... it's fucked me up since i already graduated and didn't take orgo because it was never necessary (and i fucking suck at it) but now I have to... fml.

That being said... I heard Athabasca's Organic Chemistry 350 is the easiest and is accepted by Ontario medschools? Does anyone have experience with it that can shed some light onto it? I'm looking for something that's online + easy that I can fucking do and move on.

Thoughts+help would be much appreciated!!!

Is that specifically for organic? Im thinking of taking a stats course from AU 

2 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

Word of caution: uOttawa tends to not accept online classes such as AU. Everywhere else in Canada, including McGill,  which has organic chem requirements,  will accept it.

Right from the horse's mouth: https://med.uottawa.ca/undergraduate/admissions/faq

Can prerequisite courses be taken as distance education courses?

Yes, provided you can show proof of laboratory completion where laboratory sessions are required. Please note that we do not accept home labs therefore make sure to take the onsite laboratory. 

On 7/18/2019 at 9:52 PM, kokomcat said:

Ever since UOttawa has introduced organic chemistry as a mandatory pre-req... it's fucked me up since i already graduated and didn't take orgo because it was never necessary (and i fucking suck at it) but now I have to... fml.

That being said... I heard Athabasca's Organic Chemistry 350 is the easiest and is accepted by Ontario medschools? Does anyone have experience with it that can shed some light onto it? I'm looking for something that's online + easy that I can fucking do and move on.

Thoughts+help would be much appreciated!!!

Can’t bypass orgo with a gen chem/biochem combo anymore? That’s a bummer. Orgo is not fun and has not been helpful to me once in the first 2 years of medical school (I’m assuming it will be even less helpful in clerkship and the beyond). Biochem was somewhat helpful at least, but by no means necessary. Good luck, friend