Premed 101 Forums

Which doctors don't work on holidays and weekends?

Heme, rheum and endocrine would still have a call schedule in most practices, although I imagine it isn't very busy.

Most doctors wouldn't work a full formal work day on holidays and weekends, except covering call.

If a set work week and scheduling is a top priority for you, you will have very few specialty options. I'd even go as far as reconsidering medicine if it will be a very big issue for you. Last thing you want to do is get locked into a career you hate. It is nearly impossible to escape medicine once you are staff. 

5 hours ago, NLengr said:

Heme, rheum and endocrine would still have a call schedule in most practices, although I imagine it isn't very busy.

Most doctors wouldn't work a full formal work day on holidays and weekends, except covering call.

If a set work week and scheduling is a top priority for you, you will have very few specialty options. I'd even go as far as reconsidering medicine if it will be a very big issue for you. Last thing you want to do is get locked into a career you hate. It is nearly impossible to escape medicine once you are staff. 

No I don't mind the schedule, just wanted to keep that in mind while organizing observerships during my breaks.

Ophthalmology and derm would still have a call schedule right? Is it usually the resident who actually works during call?

5 hours ago, MDinCanada said:

No I don't mind the schedule, just wanted to keep that in mind while organizing observerships during my breaks.

Ophthalmology and derm would still have a call schedule right? Is it usually the resident who actually works during call?

Only if you are an academic staff. Which is a challenge to get a position in (at best 25% chance). And even then, you are responsible for the care the resident provides, so you can't be drinking a bottle of wine or out of town. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, medisforme said:

The benefit of not getting hospital privileges in FM is you get all your evenings, weekends and holidays off.  

I think that Academic Family Health Team Staff physicians all have privileges associated to their base hospital---> as they routinely order laboratory and imaging tests through their base hospital and send internal referrals. In Ontario the FHT GPs are required to do weekend urgent care clinics to their FHT patients, and weekdays evening clinics. But if you are within a large group of physicians, you do maximum one weekend every few months, and one weekday evening clinic every few months. And they do get weekend and evening premiums and bill out of basket fees---> which is a bonus. 

If you enter medicine knowing absolutely that you don't want to do evenings, weekends and holidays off, that's only possible for outpatient practice specialties. But knowing that it won't be possible during clerkship and residency. I think that you should expect that medicine is not a Monday-Friday 9 am to 5 pm jobs, otherwise, you will be disappointed.