Premed 101 Forums

"In a push for diversity, medical schools overhaul how they select Canada's future doctors"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-in-a-push-for-diversity-medical-schools-overhaul-how-they-select/

Interesting article on some of the background behind recent changes to admissions for medical schools, with efforts to improve the diversity of their classes to better reflect that of their communities.

Overall, seem to be small, but positive changes.

Pretty fascinating behind-the-scenes with Dr. Bruce Martin at University of Manitoba Admissions and their effort to improve admissions, including this killer quote:

Even his own colleagues, worried about their children’s prospects, have cornered him on this matter. The conversations were uncomfortable, he said.

“We in medicine have generally been white, socio-economically advantaged and male. And that’s not who we serve,” he said.

“It’s my mission to pick people who are suited to the profession and can meet the needs of the population.”

On 7/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, conbrio said:

Dr. Bruce Martin at University of Manitoba Admissions

On 7/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, conbrio said:

“We in medicine have generally been white, socio-economically advantaged and male. And that’s not who we serve,” he said.

Manitoba is mostly white. Take a look at this dated but still relevant data:

Manitoba Demographics

At the 2006 census, the ethnic composition of Manitoba was 69.9% white, 13.08% visible minority groups and 17% Aboriginal (11% First Nations, 6.5% Metis). The visible minority groups included:

• Filipino: 5%
  • South Asian: 2.2%
  • Black: 1.7%
  • Chinese: 1.5%
  • Latin American: 0.8%
  • Southeast Asian: 0.7%
  • Arab: 0.3%
  • Korean: 0.3%
  • West Asian: 0.2%
  • Japanese: 0.2%

The most common ethnic origins in Manitoba are:

• English: 22.1%
  • German: 19.1%
  • Scottish: 18.5%
  • Canadian: 18.2%
  • Ukrainian: 14.7%
  • Irish: 13.4%
  • French: 13.1%
  • North American Indian: 10.6%
  • Polish: 7.3%
  • Metis: 6.4%
  • Dutch: 4.9%
  • Russian: 4.0%
  • Icelandic: 2.7%

He may mean as a profession as well serving the rest of Canada? And I’d say my whole region has drastically changed in the last 13 years, heck even Ontario, so I think Manitoba Has a good chance it has gone through something similar, guess we need more current data though. He also mention socioeconomically advantaged, so it’s not just focusing on the white part.

The 2016 census data suggests a shift in the demographics of Manitoba (similar to the rest of Canada).

And like @IMislove mentioned, the circumstances UManitoba is trying to acknowledge extend beyond race to encompass factors including SES and family structure that would impact an applicant's academics, extracurriculars, and the opportunities/privileges afforded to them throughout this process.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:30 AM, conbrio said:

Even his own colleagues, worried about their children’s prospects, have cornered him on this matter. The conversations were uncomfortable, he said.

“It’s my mission to pick people who are suited to the profession and can meet the needs of the population.”

I personally think these small incremental changes are what's best for society as a whole. Kudos to Dr. Bruce Martin. It's not easy going against your peers. 

And to people who are worried about their children's prospects... I wouldn't be too worried. 1) The changes are incremental 2) You still need good credentials to get into med school (so advantages in socioeconomic status, money, resources are still important).

Bottom line that I think is: they're not going to reject a kid who has a solid GPA, MCAT, and ECs just because they're "white males who have money". If they'll make a good doctor, and they've got what it takes, then they'll probably get in. 

26 minutes ago, Torntoiletpaper said:

Bottom line that I think is: they're not going to reject a kid who has a solid GPA, MCAT, and ECs just because they're "white males who have money". If they'll make a good doctor, and they've got what it takes, then they'll probably get in. 

Happens all the time to Asian kids in America where they employ affirmative action.

12 hours ago, mohammad said:

Manitoba is mostly white. Take a look at this dated but still relevant data:

Manitoba Demographics

At the 2006 census, the ethnic composition of Manitoba was 69.9% white, 13.08% visible minority groups and 17% Aboriginal (11% First Nations, 6.5% Metis). The visible minority groups included:

• Filipino: 5%
  • South Asian: 2.2%
  • Black: 1.7%
  • Chinese: 1.5%
  • Latin American: 0.8%
  • Southeast Asian: 0.7%
  • Arab: 0.3%
  • Korean: 0.3%
  • West Asian: 0.2%
  • Japanese: 0.2%

The most common ethnic origins in Manitoba are:

• English: 22.1%
  • German: 19.1%
  • Scottish: 18.5%
  • Canadian: 18.2%
  • Ukrainian: 14.7%
  • Irish: 13.4%
  • French: 13.1%
  • North American Indian: 10.6%
  • Polish: 7.3%
  • Metis: 6.4%
  • Dutch: 4.9%
  • Russian: 4.0%
  • Icelandic: 2.7%

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but this census is more than a decade old. In addition, U of Manitoba is not trying to disproportionately reduce the number of its white students, rather just trying to ensure that there are some other students who can represent the rest of Manitoba's population. For example, the article states that 10% of the class is Indigenous, which is still lower than the percentage of Indigenous peoples in Manitoba's population in 2006 (10.6% and plus 6.4% if you include Metis communities). Also, it's not just about ethnicity. It's about the need for rural students and the need for students from low SES upbringing. There's a reason Dr. Martin said "white, socio-economically advantaged and male", not just "white".

10 hours ago, 1D7 said:

Happens all the time to Asian kids in America where they employ affirmative action.

An asian kid with solid stats, is still going to get in somewhere for medical school in the US. Don't drink the kool-aid too much. Sure they may not get into Harvard, or XYZ school, but the same principles of broad application apply and they will get in somewhere.